Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Natural and appropriate ways to wash your dreads

John Preston
@john-preston
12 years ago
1 posts

By appropriate I mean in the sense of "appropriate technology" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriate_technology ). People talk about baking soda and say its natural and OK, but I do not believe it is: it is either mined or produced chemically on a large scale by big companies. Baking soda is not appropriate, and I don't want to use it. Ideally I'm looking for something that I can make myself.

I currently dilute some 5% white spirit vinegar (basically just 5% solution of acetic acid in water) with water from my shower at about a 1:4 or 1:5 ratio, in a cup or mug, and pour this over my head and rub in. I'll do this maybe twice. I'm just concerned that this isn't cleansing enough: is this actually getting all the muck and grease out and keeping my dreads happy and healthy? What appropriate things can I do to make sure my dreads are nice? Peace x :D

updated by @john-preston: 01/13/15 09:34:54PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well...

I agree with a lot of this philosophy, but vinegar will not clean your scalp. It'll make it more and more acidic. Amd will keep softening it up so that it has trouble locking. In the BS/ACV wash, it's the BS that does the cleaning. The ACV is only used to reset your pH and help soften your hair so that it's not dry and brittle.

It's no problem if you don't want to use it. It's not everyone's favorite wash. Dreadlockshampoo.com makes great locally made soaps, using the best ingredients you can get.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

vinagers a degreaser so will remove oilds but not dirt..but its aan acid so will make u more p]=oily removing oils as well will make u more oily so it really backfires

the baking soda acv combo works great the dreadlockshampoo.com soaps ..well she is hyper ethical about the ingredients she uses

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form