Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What not to use in your hair?

Don J
@don-j
12 years ago
11 posts

So just thinking, is there anything decorative that I should not put in my hair? If I'm asking, I'm sure someone else is and can benefit from this. I feel this is important to the home craft, as some things can do more damage then its worth.

Questionable:

String or thread. What kind to use, what not to use?

Is soapstone good to use?

Peyote Stitch, stretchy or non?
Peyote Stitch, open gaps?

Full dread Peyote Stitch, has this bin done?

Wood alone can absorb a ton of water in 30 minutes and please try it out... soak your wood beads with water, weigh it out and let us know. I want to see them scales lol. I also see posts regarding residue/oil build up on them and some that have cracked.

Safe with general warning:

**Untreated Wood - Must be removed for washing, replace cracked and dull sharpness

(glass/ceramics and beads) - If not careful may lead yo molding or getting stuck if left to long and braking glass may lead to cuts.

Prove me wrong, but the things I feel are bad for the hair:

Thank you SE!!! GLUE! in any form... hot glue melts.... think before using any glue please.

Steal, silver, copper, brass and clear lacquer. Anything that can be sharp is a given...

Those 4 metals oxidize on there own. The oxidation or tarnish, I feel it can upset your dreads and scalp to irritation or worse.

Most people will say clear lacquer will solve all of that. I feel it can act as a glue and you will have to cut it out. "if the lacquer is not 101% dry or solvents dissolving it slightly"

I'm sure more will come... feel free to add anything I may have missed and answer what you can.

updated by @don-j: 01/13/15 09:33:10PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

one site suggested using a drop of superglue to get beads to stay in your dread

dont do that

(cant believe i have to say that haha)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I have glass beads. Never had a problem with them. But there was a member a little while ago that recommended taking a hammer to it if it got stuck there. They claimed that if you covered the lock in a plastic bag first, it would contain the shards of glass. Just sounds like an all in all bad idea to me. And as for the 1 wooden bead I have, I always take it out when I shower, and would recommend it to anyone else, for the same reason you said. Same goes for ceramic beads

Don J
@don-j
12 years ago
11 posts

Thank you Baba, I edited it for you and Is that wood bead lacquered?

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
Use regular hemp not polished (polish=wax=no no)Don't use wool yarn unless you want it to get felted in thereMove beads to keep them from getting stuckI know with wood earrings you shouldnt wear them in water & you oil them to keep them nice, I assume take wood beads out for washing & just assume they may crack with wear?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

One is lacquered. I still take it out, though. The other is just a piece of cedar branch that was hollowed out. I don't wear it that often, but if I do, I definitely make sure I don't wash with it. I did once, and it took over a day to dry, even when I took it off right after I washed.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form