Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Did I just completely **** up my dreads?

bailey divine
@bailey-divine
12 years ago
2 posts

So my dreads are maybe a week old, and I've been told to get wax for them by like everyone. I did have lose hairs and the ends were undreading themselves, so I thought I should. I walked to my local Walgreen's and got this product, before I bought it I looked up a review. One said it didn't work good for them, but another said it worked perfectly, so I got it. When I used it, I don't know if I used to much or it was just a bad product, but now there so greasy and gross. It wont come out! Someone, please, tell me how to get it out. :c

updated by @bailey-divine: 01/13/15 09:31:47PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ouch, I'm so sorry.

No wax or wax-like products should ever go in your hair. I actually lost about 1/2 of my hair when I had myfirstset due to wax. The wax stopped any air flow from reaching my scalp and the inside of my locks, that they turned into a mushy swamp and my hair litteraly melted off my scalp.

Dawn dish soap is great for removing wax. Just get a big bowl or bucket of very warm water. Not scalding, though. And squirt a very generous amount of soap in it. Then dip each lock in and work the soap into it with your hands. Spend about a minute or 2 on each lock. Then do your normal wash. You'll probably have to do this at least 3 times a week for a month to make sure all of the wax is out. Before each of your normal washes, use the Dish soap. Don't just use the soap and rinse it out. Washnormallyafterwards. it's very hard to tell if it's gone from the inner layers of your hair. So do it more than you think you have to. It won't hurt your locks. But leaving the wax in will destroy them.

There is also a product from dreadlockshampoo.com that has gotten great reviews for getting rid of wax. I'm not sure how to use it, though. Ask Eagle. I'm sure he knows more about it

bailey divine
@bailey-divine
12 years ago
2 posts

Oh my, a lot of work. haha. but there worth the try. thank you so much!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ph no wax is pure evil its a newby scanm and only a newby would ever recomend it

unfortunatekly your best bet is to comb out and start over but if niot get the wax b gone theres wax removal info on this site thbats better then any out there so thank god u found us

btw most positive reviews of wax are fajked

new dreads will be loose and have loose hairs its normal and nesacary by trying to not have loose hairs at 1 week your goung to screw your dreads up badly

u got to let them dread at their own pace

read the dreadiucation page dread wax t]ruth and dread wax rremoval pages then theres a knottyboy/dreadheadhq e=review page add your revirw to the nasty wax reviews

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The reviews of wax that aren't fake are by people who's locks are usually 1 day old. They haven't yet realized the mistake. When they do, their comments and reviews are censored

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Yay, you found this site so, you are on the right path and no, you did not completely mess up your dreads.

While you are here I hope you take a look at the dreaducation pages and read up on some of the info in regards to dreading methods, maintenance and products so that next time someone tells you to do something to your hair, you can educate them back and tell them to go kick rocks :P

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form