Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how do you feel about honey?

Kayla Jensen
@kayla-jensen
12 years ago
21 posts

these loose messy hairs and unraveling of some dreads are driving me crazy! I know everyone on here says wax is bad but seriously? is it THAT horrible? what about something more natural and sticky like honey? is there anything i can do to help me with these lose hairs? and is unraveling of some dreads normal? all my friends are telling me that it looks like my dreads are coming out but i keep telling them to shush and give it time! its just getting annoying to look at everyday. but i still love my dreads dont get me wrong! i just want them to look as good as possible. Having dreads at first is like apermanentbad hair day...

updated by @kayla-jensen: 01/13/15 09:30:45PM
Rainbow Fortune
@rainbow-fortune
12 years ago
123 posts

Give them time. I don't know for how long you've been dreading (your page says 'just started', but I don't know when that was :D ), but they will take care of themselves. I am 11 months in, and I have about the same amount of loose hairs as I have dreads. :)

You are telling your friends to give them time; that's what you need to do too. They will look as good as possible when they do their thing.

If you really need to tame them a bit, you could use 100% aloe vera gel, preferably straight from the plant. :) Or just throw on a tam and don't look at it. :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if its sticky it will slow progress honey is ok as a very small ammount added to shampoo to help prevent premature balding it nourishes the hair but u want very lil added to shampoo nit enough to make dreads feel sticky

loose hairs have to take care of themselves thru being free to move u can tame em with aloe but that will slow progress so 1 day tamed will add 10 more unrtamed

and final note on honey a couple did use it as a wax substitute and went hiking

not only were bugs attracted but so was a bear..that killed em both

thats a true story too

the 1st tine someone posted a question about honey as a wax substitute someone did a search on google and found a news story about that happening just days b4

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

i knew a guy that put honey in his hair and he had a whole colony of ants living in that mess

Kayla Jensen
@kayla-jensen
12 years ago
21 posts

OH WOW!defiantlynot trying to get attacked by a bear hahah or attract nasty bugs thanks a lot guys! everything helps! guess i just need to bepatientand as Justin said, not look in the mirror!

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

if theyre annoying to look at then dont look! you dont see progress because youre micro examining each little hair every time you walk by a mirror. Its a long process that takes time, but once they reach maturity, they'll be like that forever. Stay away from wax, please please stay away from wax, they'll be in your dreads FOREVER. If you want to straighten them out, go to dreadlockshampoo.com and look up the locking gel, it works just like regular gel, keeping the form and the frizz down, but its made with 100% natural and vegan products, and will wash out every single time you wash your dreads, unlike anything else that'll leave residue.You can also use 100% food grade aloe vera in the frdge section of a supermarket or the aloe vera leaf itself, i've never actually found it myself, so i use the locking gel. Works like a charm, i only use it for weddings and special events, i happen to love how my dreads have a mind of their own, and enjoy the process.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Aloe is good and if you can't get it straight from the plant try to get food grade quality aloe from a natural food store.

There are also locking gels that are water soluble but you definitely want to examine the ingredients list before investing. Some can have hidden petroleum's in them which is essentially going to do the same thing as wax. One such locking gel that is water soluble is the one sold at Bucks County Soap ( http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/ ) which has been used by members of this community and reviewed.

If you do need to tame your frizz, try to do it sparingly because the hairs will need to move around to form into a dreadlock and the more you try to smooth them out, the longer the hair will take to fully dread.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Hey Kayla dont listen to this tool bag, as you can see, he doesnt even have dreads. Keep on doing what you're doing, and stay away from wax.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form