Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hey :) New to Dreading...have some questions

Fawn
@fawn
12 years ago
1 posts

Hey everyone. I'm Fawn, I'm 24 and have many different hats that I wear. I'm a wife of 5years, a mother to a very spoiled, beautiful, smart 3 year old, I'm also a photographer, volunteer at a horse rescue where I do a lot of horse back trail guiding, I'm a health and wellness educator with Shaklee, and I just got a J-O-B as a cook. I love animals, nature, music, hiking, camping, reading, dancing, riding horses, and relaxing with a good book.

I don't yet have dreads. I love the look and am thinking about dreading but as none of my family or friends have dreads I have no support besides my husband saying "go for it", everyone else thinks I'm crazy and that it's anawfulidea.

So I do have so questions...and hope yall can help me with them...

1. some of my family say that dreads easily catch head lice and bugs....I've never had a problem with lice *knock on wood* and would like to keep it that way :) I've read that tea tree oil helps keep them away, how do you use it and if I do catch lice, how do you comb them out of your hair once you have dreads without loosing the dreads?

2. I have a very dry scalp, it's even flaky most of the time, and I've tried everything from dandruff shampoos, to various conditioners, and olive oil, and still it hasn't improved, what can I do to help the dry scalp? Can I still do dreads with a dry scalp and dry hair? Is there any special care for dryness? and what about the flakes?

3. I love to color my hair usually once a year or so...can I still dye my hair with dreads? if so how?

4. I read that the drying process of dreads can take a long time, do you just let them air dry? can you swim in pools with dread? also with washing your hair I read that you can use BS/ACV or shampoo bars, do you wash all the hair or just the roots or where can I find out more about care for them?

5. What do you do with the roots? I know you don't want to tighten them, so do you do anything or will your roots just form right into the other dreads?

I'm sorry I have so many questions and some of them may seem like I should already know but like I said I've never had anyone in my life with dreads and really have no clue what I'm going to be doing, besides what I've read in the last 3 days.

Thanks in advance

Also if you have any beginner tips please share them with me.

I was thinking since I was small dreads to do twist and rip, then let them go natural from there...

updated by @fawn: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 kids not dreads are more likely to get lice so if u get lice it will be from your kid going to school

lice hate treatree so just wash with a teatree soap or put the oil on your scalp if you do get em from yoir kids use 70% rubbing alcahol for 30 min this kills them they breathe the fumes ..and die do it every 3 days the k[lice dont need to be combed out they fall out chemical treatments like quell are highly toxic so u cant use them evry 3 days so u must comb out the eggs not the lice however by using a safe method u cahn kill them all every 3 days therefore breaking the 5 day birth/maturity/gestation cycly (an egg takes 5 days to hatch the baby is fully mature in 5 days and can lay eggs every 5 days so by breaking that cycle u dont got to comb them out

2 dandruff shampoos are some of the most toxic crap u can put on your scalp teatree and rosemart=y is way better i use the teatree rosemary bar from www.dreadlockshampoo.com now and went from the worse scalp in history to one of the healrthiest i highly rcomend it

3 if u can avoid dyes your better off but if u must dye then do so carefully with healthy natural dyes like henna do only the outside dont try to soak it in and rinse like u never rinsed befoee

4 air dry or sun dry or sit by a fan if u must bli=ow dry do so in quick shoe=rt bursts if u use a bar soap scrub only the roots/scalp then rinse thru if u use bs/acv u pour over your head and soak..no scrubbing

5 do nothing to the roots but seperate as they try to combine

heres the thing about roots..and dreads in general..

u never had to tnr to begin with (the best method is no method..just let it dread) so if u dont got to tnr to get dreads why would u need to do anything to get roots to dread>/

but

the roots will (and should) be loose many months then tighten towards maturity

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tiffany burney
@tiffany-burney
12 years ago
12 posts
hey I completely understand bout the family thing...my sis complains everyday ..my hubby is the only rock I have right now besides this wonderful family we have right here on this site ..we will answer any questions and give any advice..try looking at some of the past forums..they are so helpful....I'm going natural it's when you just stop brushing ur hair n stop fussin with it..I'm loving the results so far(only 8 days in)..good luck hunnie
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form