Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thickening/ adding dreads... Extensions or Wool?

B likes Tea
@b-likes-tea
12 years ago
21 posts

Well, hello! So, here is my situation... I had intended on beginning my dreadlock journey this week (after a friend's wedding, long story) but my hair has thinned considerably...I'm talking losing at least 1/3 of the thickness type thinning. I think it is due to the fact that I had my BS/ACV ratios off and that did something to my scalp and burned my hair, which is a bummer because this is the healthiest I've ever treated my hair in a long time (no heat, no hair products, etc). Either that or my hair could still be reacting to postpartum hormones (16months ago). My scalp isn't showing hair loss (anymore), just the thickness in general.

I sectioned my hair into braids yesterday to get a general idea of how many dreads I would have, (I've tried a TnR dread before, so I have a general idea how thick I want them to be) and I had a grand total of 15 (would-be) dreads. It looked like things would be pretty sparse.

I know my hair won't always be as thin as it is now, but I don't want to cut my almost waist long hair and don't want to wait years, or who knows how long, to begin my dread journey... But I DO want to be happy with the way my dreads look (I understand the messiness- I'm talking few, thin dreads).

So I was thinking about either getting extensions to add more hair in order to thicken them up (I dont need it for length, my hair is long enough, just thickness) or making some wool dreads to add in with my real dreads... Any thoughts or opinions?

~B

updated by @b-likes-tea: 01/13/15 09:28:35PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

none of the above

you made 15 sections those will be huuuuuge yea they look thin till they thicken but that would be way way too big

instead dont section them

start the natural proceess let them section themselves u most likely will get 40-50 pr who knows..but the right number for your head not 15 the size of your wrist

u should with thin hair have a blend of sizes a coul]=pke thicj=k that add volunme and alot thin to fill in the gaps making it a full hesad of dreads around 65 of them would be great

when they section themselves u can let them dread naturaly or tnr

thry thicken over time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form