Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Feeiling guilty

Gingey Mcgingeginge
@gingey-mcgingeginge
12 years ago
17 posts

Basically,i feel shit for letting folk crochet and backcomb my hair to make it tighter and i feel like ive cheated myself,im considering taking them out and starting again (although i have no idea how to do this without damaging lots of hair)and going either the full natural or natural TnR routes,any thoughts and advice cause im really resenting these way these look? thanks in advance :D

updated by @gingey-mcgingeginge: 01/13/15 09:28:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well u shouldnt feel guilty but it may slow progress being tightened by crochet so thats worth considering u look like you got great hair for going natural

they should loose the harsh crochetted look eventualy if u continue on

if u do decide to start over use alotta conditioner or olive oil brush or comb out gently from the tiops up slowly

a soft bristle brush might take longer but will be gentlest

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If you just want to help fix the damage done, you get get yourself some jojoba oil or aloe, and take small bits at a time and seriously rub it into your locks. Get it as deep as you can without sticking your finger through them. Let the oils sit there for a little while and then wash them out. Do this before every wash for a little while. In time they will loosen and begin to tighten and form up on their own. Unfortunately, the crochet does break a lot of hair and if you brush them completely out, you might end up losing a ton of hair. If you're willing to do it, then listen to Eagle, but you might want to just try and loosen them first and see if they feel better, and if you feel better about them.

But don't, I repeat DON'T, feel guilty. Salons and loctitians do not know how to start growing locks. Some do, but the majority do not. The proper methods are not taught in their classes, if they teach about locks at all. So it's not your fault. But you can take it int your hands, now. You can fix the damage. Just be patient and take it slow. recovery from crocheting takes many months.

Check out the recovery forum and talk to others who are going through it. See where you will be in a few months

Gingey Mcgingeginge
@gingey-mcgingeginge
12 years ago
17 posts

Thanks man :P although my hair was really naturally straight and quite heavy and thick,does that make much of a difference of how it will naturally dread compared to someone who had curly hair?

Ive also been looking up this Frank Cook character and he seems like a very inspirational,awesome dude,just watching some of his videos made me realise that society needs to take a step back in the primitive direction and start blending with nature :D

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it will make some difference but not enough to worry bout it will dread just fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Don't feel guilty, that's life, we make mistakes or do things we come to regret. If you want to start over then do it, just take it easy when you comb them out so you don't damage your hair or lose a lot, I guess. But if you wanna continue on the journey you're on, just let it be a life lesson. I could've combed out all my dreads and started again after backcombing and using wax, but it was part of my journey to make that mistake and learn from it, so I liked the idea of continuing with it. Make whatever choice makes you happy, but don't bother feeling any guilt.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Tara's right. You can chalk it up to lessons learned. Check out my video on palm rolling. Those locks are super thin at the roots. I noticed that early on, but just kept on going. I could have decided to brush them out when I started seeing it, but decided to let it be and hope they will fix themseles

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form