Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Why does my head hate me?

Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

I posted a few weeks ago regarding giant dandruff chunks and itchiness that drove me mad!

Since using dreadlockshampoo.com's Tea Tree/Rosemary Shampoo bar, per SE's suggestion, it has improved SIGNIFICANTLY! No crazy flakes, and itchiness has diminished dramatically.

But I still struggle with dryness. Or, maybe I don't, but I don't interact with anyone with dreads, face-to-face, so I'm not sure what the texture is supposed to feel like. All I know is that my scalp produces NO oil...and if it does...it is not visible or felt.

Is this normal? I used to be so greasy two years ago. I know the scalp adjusts to not washing everyday with miserable shampoos...but I'm wondering why my scalp doesn't produce it's own oils and why I feel like I need to apply Shea Butter every once in a while to feel like my dreads are soft and not brittle.

Thoughts?

updated by @katie2: 01/13/15 09:28:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt use shae if abything a lil aloe or jojoba

i think the contrast between oiliness u were used to and a more normal semi dryness just shocked u it should be somewgat dry but not overly

the bars should be all u need except a rare aloe or jojoba treatment

are u using sea salt if so thats why its so dry

cut that back or stop completely

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I agree, it's probably just such a shocking change, that you'll have ti get used to it not being as oily. The jojoba oil or aloe is your best bet. Shea is nice, but can leave residue. I know not much, but still... you don't want any if you can help it

Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

Thanks.

Any suggestions for where to buy it and in what form and all that jazz? Is it just oil?

Also, I don't even know what overly dry would be like since I have nothing to compare it to.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

aloe is a plant any garden center has ak[loe vera plants

jojoba is an oil its the closest to your natural oils

heres a good pplace

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/index.php?AID=122110

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

Yeah, we have aloe plant, but I wasn't sure whether you use straight from the plant or it comes in some processed form (gel, liquid, etc.). Okay.

Thank you. What are your suggestions for use of these products? Whenever the dreads feel super dry?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Straight from the plant is best. You can find food grade aloe, but it's harder to find. most brands add other ingredients that you don't want in your hair.

Is it that your locks feel dry, or your scalp? If your scalp, then take a little dab on your finger and rub it onto your scalp between your locks. If you locks are dry, I'd recommend the jojoba. Aloe tends to make your hair more slick that the jojoba and can slow down the process more. Just take a small amount and rub it into your hands. Then take a few locks and GENTLY palm roll the oil onto them. You don't need to rub hard, because you don't need to oil to go deep inside. Just rub it onto the surface and it'll seep into the crevices of your hairs

Katie2
@katie2
12 years ago
40 posts

Thank you. :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form