Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking soda wash problem HELP

Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
12 years ago
14 posts
I used the baking soda and Apple cider vinegar rinse. Twice now I have like a pastey film on my scalp and it looks like baking soda speckled throughout my scalp, what am i doing wrong????? Please help!
updated by @jenny-lee: 02/14/15 09:20:31AM
Breana
@breana
12 years ago
19 posts
Work your fingers over your scalp, kinda like a scalp massage, when you rise. Don't run your fingers through your hair though. It could be youre not rinsing it all out, or using too much. If this doesn't work go to a dread shampoo.
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Tell us how you are mixing your wash and rinse (what proportions, etc.)

Also, do you have hard water?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its most likely 1 of 2 things

1 you made it too weak baking soda exfoliates turning dead skin into a paste if its strong enough it rinses awat]=y

baking soda when aded to water fairly quickly starts to turn to gasses and evaporates so unless u dont break uo clumps its impossible to leave bs residues in most cases if theres clumps the water cant f-=gert inside then maybe

or 2 u have alkaline water baking soda dissolves completely in neutral water if the waters too alkaline it might not disolve easiky

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
12 years ago
14 posts
About 3/4 cup bs, 1/4 cup sea salt, 1 squirt of Dr. Bronners, 20 drops of teatree oil, 20 drops of eucalyptus oil, 10 drops of spearmint oil. I stir it up, break the clumps, fill it the rest of the way, dump it while massaging my scalp, leave it on for 30 mins., rinse, then i do the acv rinse, pour it on,leave for 5 mins then rinse :(
Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
12 years ago
14 posts
In 1 gal pitcher
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

30 minutes is way too long. You should only be leaving it on for 5-10 minutes. 20 if you want a really deep cleanse. But that should only be done once in a while

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Since you have the Bronners already, have you tried using that as a shampoo? I use the lavender bronners, diluted to 1/12 it's strength with essential oils and I love it. I haven't had dandruff issues since using it.

30 minutes seems too long. Also, you don't need to rub the scalp using the baking soda... It's supposed to be a hands free wash (I'm not entirely sure if that matters...?)
Also rosemary is a great essential oil for helping with dandruff (esp. good paired with tea tree)

Another thing to try, since you didn't mention your water type, so I'm guessing you don't know, is to boil the water before mixing your bs. Some people have posted having the same issues with the bs wash and when they boil the water prior to mixing it really reduced the residue left behind. IF this does work out then that means a water filter may be in your future (unless you want to just keep boiling the water with each use.)

Jenny Lee said:

About 3/4 cup bs, 1/4 cup sea salt, 1 squirt of Dr. Bronners, 20 drops of teatree oil, 20 drops of eucalyptus oil, 10 drops of spearmint oil. I stir it up, break the clumps, fill it the rest of the way, dump it while massaging my scalp, leave it on for 30 mins., rinse, then i do the acv rinse, pour it on,leave for 5 mins then rinse :(
Jenny Lee
@jenny-lee
12 years ago
14 posts
I had dreads before and had the same problem, and before using the bs wash I used Bronners, worked great but from massaging, my roots were loose. Then again, I had used wax when forming them the first time, hence why i combed them out and started over 6 months later
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Roots are supposed to be loose. Mine are loose up to 3 inches. The loose hair at the roots needs to be there so that the hair can move around and lock up as it grows out. Of course, they will be a lot looser as they start to develop than when they are fully mature.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form