Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help. i feel like im not moving foward

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

so i have a bunch of loose hairs, is there anything i can do to maintain some sort of neatness. also after washing my hair it feels like it is gettin softer, and it is not locking up, before deciding to just let my hair do its thing i did have them interlocked, and i an now seeing why so many people are not into it. this may be a question no one can answer but im on month 4 and i still feel like my hair in minimally locked is there anything i can do to help it out.....i did just buy a cute all wool tam, i wear it at night i heard that helps

updated by @melissa3: 01/13/15 09:27:45PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u also used wax have u removed all wax? wax will completely prevent dreading plus your at 4 months

when u backcomb thety llooosen 1st 3 months even 4 if yiouhave anything at all holding togerther at 4 m9onthds your doing great the next 3 months will show alot more forward progress

but u got to be sure u got all the wax out

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I have loads of loose hair and I'm at 10 months. You'll always have some loose hairs, and after just a few months you'll have a lot of them. There's not all that much you can do about it. I mean, I guess there's some non-damaging things people here will be able to suggest, but better, in my opinion, to just let them be, and that way you'll just get used to it. If they no longer bother you, they won't be a problem.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You need to get all of the wax out. one wash wont do it. And normal washes, no matter how many you do, will not do it. In fact, because wax is not water soluble, the water will get trapped inside the lock and create a swamp of decaying hair that will start to smell. You must get it all out. This can take months if you used it multiple times. Weeks to just a month or 2 of you only used it once. But this depends if you just smeared the wax on and rolled it in, or if you melted it and let it dry. Melting it is much much harder to get out.

If you did get it out 100%, you can get the gel from dreadlockshampoo.com to control some loose hairs, but only use it if ALL of the wax is out. But your locks look fine. Loose hairs are completely normal and everyone has the,. Mine are 6 years old and I still have some loose hairs on top of my head. They get sucked into other locks or create new ones of their own.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I think your locks look great considering they are only 4 months old and in the beginning stages of recovery.

I second what everyone is saying about the wax though. There have been a lot of people who thought that the wax was out only to find residue coming through later on their dreads. If this is a mistake and your wax is truly out then the gel that Baba recommends is water soluble and will help tame the frizzies (but use it sparingly.) If there are no occasions where you need to be 100% neat then I would recommend letting the loose hairs be so that they can move around and find a home in one of the dreads nearby.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You really do want to let them be loose as much as possible. Their free movement is what causes them to tangle and knot up. I am using the gel because my wedding is coming up and I want to tame the new babies on top of my head. But like Val said, if you don't have something special to go to, it's better to just leave them be

Mogli
@mogli
12 years ago
6 posts

I have all kinds of loose hairs after 6 years of dreading and they eventually do find a home but with the bigger patches i use rubberbands to keep them tame. If you decide to use rubber bands dont make them too tight that will damage your hair but snug so they wont slide around.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The problem with using bands, even if they are looser, is that they can still get sucked into a lock and eaten by hairs. Once lost, they dry rot inside a lock. Just because you have been lucky so far doesn't mean that you should keep doing it

Mogli
@mogli
12 years ago
6 posts

thanks for the shared knowledge baba i haven't had that problem but i dont want it...no more bands for me lol.

sorry melissa for the bad info

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's ok. I used bands for a little while too in the beginning. I didn't think about it. Most of them just broke apart on their own, but every so often I'd have to go digging around for that one tiny piece that didn't come out. And I have seen them start to dry up, and I know I wouldn't want that in my hair, so I stopped using them

"The more you know"

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form