Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Intro/Dread Story

ashley walker
@ashley-walker
12 years ago
35 posts

I'm Ashley, Im a guitarist, a vegetarian, a soon to be music therapist, a hopeless long boarder, a helper, a friend and I started dreading my hair around november 2 2011.

It was sort of a quick decision when i started dreading them, I had thought about for some time and one day i saw a video on how to twist and rip and i just started doing it.

I didn't do it all at once, i made a few every day or every other day. I wasn't going to dread my whole head but thats what ended up happening. My first dread ever is pretty thick now, which is awesome.

No one at school really knew what was going on with my hair, they didn't exactly look like dreads yet. My parents were pissed but, they're used to it now.

Along the way i started taking some out so the back of my head is not dreaded and right now I'm debated on whether i should just let them dread naturally or twist and rip them. The problem is that I have some revealing scalp back there (why i took the dreads out in the first place, along with some matting) but i figure if they're messy enough it'll be fine.

Around 5 or 6 month i started to want my old hair back, because honestly I had some nice hair, i rarely had a bad hair day, but everyone always sort of pushed me around on how I should do my hair (because i liked my hair strait but everyone liked it curly) and yeah it was my hair but it was just annoying, At that time i just missed running my hands through my strait hair. It was a point where my dreads were... deflating (?) but i got out of that phase, and now i freaking love my dreads and waking up and shaking my head a little then going about my day.

but yeah this sites pretty cool so i thought id join and share and ask question :)

updated by @ashley-walker: 01/13/15 09:26:47PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome and ..keep your dreads for life ..just feed em lots of love

the back probly looked scalpy from the secr=tioning instead of lettin g it section itself i definately think letting it dread naturaly is best and since u probly sleep on your back will drad fastest

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Hello! Glad you got past that itch to unravel!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Them unraveling is all part of the process, and the part where everyone thinks that locks aren't happening the way they "should". But if you ask everyone here with locks older than 6 months, they'll let you know that it's natural and that if you stick with it, they will come back together with avengeance.

I'm glad you are past the phase where you care what others say about your hair. Your hair is yours. Others have to look at it, but f they care so much, then you just learned avaluable lesson. They aren't worth your time.

Good luck and stay patient. Your locking process is a never-ending journey and takes you all over the place through your own emotional psyche.

ashley walker
@ashley-walker
12 years ago
35 posts

Hey! thanks for the positivity :)

and yeah I'll probably just let the back of my hair do its own thing. and I totally agree that the people judging my hair aren't worth my time, except my parents who are the main people criticizing me most, but they're coming around to it, my mom even complimented me once.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Lucky. My mom either doesn't mention them or tries to convince me to cut them off. She's not against locks. She just wants them to look neat and perfect. She's always offering to pay for me to go to a salon and have them "done right". It's a riot.

No matter how much I tell her that salons ruin locks, she doesn't want to hear it

ashley walker
@ashley-walker
12 years ago
35 posts

My mom used to say that stuff too, i feel like they're just scared of anything thats different. My dad gets in a bad mood if i wrap them or do stuff to them, he'll be upset at my mom for not trying to stop me. I don't understand it sometimes. I think it's more accepted as they start getting used to seeing you with dreads. because i think my dad forgets i have them so he gets upset when he sees me with my hair down

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well, my mom hasn't let off for the past 6 years. She doesn't bring it up as much, but when she does it's never to compliment them.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form