Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Survive with dreads in 49 Degree Heat.. (120.2 degrees F for the other kinds)

SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
12 years ago
327 posts

Hey guys,

My dreads are about my waist length now. My hair has always been thick thanks to my indian genetics so I got like 60 med to fat dreads.. Thing is..M an indie filmmaker and I have been shooting outdoors lately..and next shoot will start in june mid where the temp are not going to go down...It is getting so hot that I really felt like it was impeding my ability to creatively think on the set... I drench my dreads in water and within 15 mins its cmpletely dry..

Any suggestions to beat the heat? Or should I be lobbing some inches off? I really don't wanna do that.. :(

updated by @sillywalkingminister: 01/13/15 09:26:42PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I honestly don't know about how to handle this with dreads but I have really thick hair and in the past I have wrapped ice in a bandana and tucked it up under a hat. That really helped to cool me down and it didn't bother me that it was melting and dripping on my scalp since it would dry so fast anyway.

This will be my first summer with dreads so I have to experiment still. Let me know if you find something that works :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i was hitchhiking thryu vegas a number of years ago it was 120 everytime a truck went by the wind it caused felt l;ike sticking my head in a blast furnace..i was dumping water over my heazd constantly

you got to tie em up high off your neck/back

id even bun em up and stick handfulls of ice cubes inside

another tip

mistymaters are a nifty poratable air conditioner they blow a constant mist into the air the water in it can be icedd too it makes it bareable reducing the temp around u 30 degrees

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
12 years ago
327 posts

cheers for the advice guys... ill look into mistymate..looks like something u need when u crawl under a tree for an afternoon nap..

can somebody tell me how to tie hair up or bun it so that it stay away from my back and neck... other half of my job requires staring at pc for insane amount of time and by neck gets so stiff from the weight.. i think tying up will solve both problems..

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Grab 2 locks (one on each temple), pull them under all of the rest and cross them behind your neck. Pull them back up on the opposite side of you head and tie them together. This will create a neat pony tail that pulls them some of the way off your neck. If you want them off your neck even more, grab 2 more on opposite sides and do it again. You can keep doing this till they stick back off your neck.

I am sure that you drink a lot, but from hiking in over 100* F temps, if you drink and don't sweat, you're not drinking enough. Drink until you start to sweat it all out, then drink more. A friend of mine always bring extra bottles of water to festivals just to pour over his head in the heat. If it's that hot, and they dry that fast, you don't have to worry about them staying damp, so be generous with the water.

SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
12 years ago
327 posts

haha cheers bro.. unfortunately the guy with the dread needs to stand behind the camera cz i dont have a big crew or anything... but yea i do have an interesting take on "shiva" god... avengers style.. might be ideal for a dreadlcoks guy..

kalpesh patel said:

I wear a tam in the heat but man if ur in the out doors tie them up like baba fats said. I'm looking up to u , cuz u have nice dreads so don't chop them bro. And oh yeh good luck on the photo shoot hit me up with a link and I might buy a film off ya if u like me too. Will it be a film with a dreadlocks guy in it?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form