Dreadlocks Forums

New to Dreading

Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

Evenin all.

Kit from the uk here to say hi so.... HI *waves*

Been dreading for a month or two now and wanted to see how others went about getting there dreads, how to maintain and things.

Hope to get to chat to a few people.

laters

updated by @kit-vardy: 02/14/15 07:50:09AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

most of us don't believe in "maintenance". It's the messy stages of growing locks that make you grow more as a person.

That being said, there are ways to make you locks look a bit neater. There's a gel from dreadlockshampoo.com that is water soluble and washes out after each wash. It even starts to break down before that, so it doesn't get stuck in your hair leaving residue. It's oil based, so it makes your locks smell nice as well. I am using it currently, to make a few of my new babies on top of my head look a bit neater for my wedding.

People have come here after doing so much damage to their hair with the thought that maintaining them would make their locks grow and form faster. But for them, there's a whole forum dedicated to recovery from thoseprocesses.

The only real maintenance you need for locks is to wash them often and separate them as needed so they don't congo into 1 giant lock.

As for jobs, I don't know what the laws are like in the UK, but in the States, we have the first amendment that protects freedom of religion. Not every one grows their locks for spiritual reasons, but for those that do, they are protected from discrimination from employers. There is probably a law similar to that in the UK. Perhaps, not worded the same way, but something to that effect.

Otherwise, people wear hats, bandannas, tams, scarfs, or just tie them back to make themselves look neater.

There's nothing you need to do to maintain locks, though. locks happen on their own, so most anything you do will just inhibit them from forming.

Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

Very informative thanks.

Ive heard about palmrolling them regularly to keep them knotted. is this another myth?

Cheers in advance :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

a complete myth. It's totally pointless. It'll make them look somewhat rounder for about a few hours. But after you wake up the next day, they'll be back to their frizzy selves. Plus, palm rolling thins them and can pull out hairs from your scalp that are integral to making them strong. It's better to not even bother. I did to a few of mine wen I first started, and they did become weaker. None have fallen out, yet, and probably wont, but the roots are much weaker than the locks I just let form on their own

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I actually just posted a vid, about palm rolling, on my page inspired by this

Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

Ill have a look. thanks

big

Juat in time then eh. best stop rolling them. they do feel a little thin. looking at a shampoo from lush called . it thickens hair and is a mix of sea salt, lemon etc. natural to so no residue. sound ok to use? https://www.lush.co.uk/product/50/Big-Shampoo

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You're not the first person to mention this soap. Honestly, It probably should be ok. What worries me is the lemon. Lemon isn't all the great for your locks. It dries them and can make them a bit more brittle. If anything, get a liquid version of it (if there is one), and dilute it 1:1 in water first. I'd try it that way. And only wash your scalp. Just in case your haven't washed them with a liquid soap yet. Pour it over your head and let it run down your locks. as you rinse it'll clean them the rest of the way.

Kit Vardy
@kit-vardy
12 years ago
11 posts

already rocking a salt water / lemon spray. just want to use something to really clean my scalp. getting rather itchy up there

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts
Over sig salt will make u itchBut u only want salt. Not lemon!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Lemon and salt = extra drying for your hair and your scalp. Lemon juice is good at lifting dandruff and is acidic so it would be appropriate in a rinse that follows a high alkaline wash however, it should be washed out and not used very regularly (this goes for ALL hair, not just dreadlocks.) It can also lighten the color of virgin hair if left in while under ultraviolet sun rays.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form