dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 Month old dreads where to go from here

Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

hey so im not looking to start over, NOT

i started my dreads in a salon, they guy who started them was very nice, i did feel from what i knew from reading forums and the internet he was trying to lie to me and get the most money out of me. he originally said first maintenance was free and when it came that time he completely changed personalities. so i stopped going to him. he started me with WAX TWIST and thats all. on my own i started to backcomb, and now i will be seeing this lady maybe in a month or so to do my roots. i am not looking to start fresh, but i am open to suggestions on how to get my hair to lock quicker. i stopped using wax 2 weeks in, i hated the way it smushed around on my head, and it eft a dirty mark on all the back of my shirts. i used less than half a container of knoty boy and since i have washed my hair 3 times and it has not fallen apart. i also plan to spend a lot of time in saltwater once the summer is here, so that will help tighten them up. heres a photo after a paint party i was recently at.

updated by @melissa3: 01/13/15 09:24:58PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 do not go to any lady to tighten the roots thats a huge mistake! 2 1/2 a conr=tainer? yikes

i hate to say it but with that much wax you probly should start obver but if not then get the wax b gone and start removing wax asap! thats all u need to do ids remove wax not waste more money being screwed =over by more salons

the roots have to tighten themselves niot be forced

it would be a huge mistake to go to her

you should be washing your haior way more often too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

looked at the pics yea u got your work cut out for u removing the wax

start by soak in alot of undiluted apple cider vinager 10 min or longer then squeeze the dreads root to tip like squeezing out toothpaste the wax will hopefuly come out then

use very hot water hottest u can stand without burning yourself and loads of dawn dish soap scrub like craxzy

repeat those steps rtill you think the wax is gone

then use the wax b gone.. use it many times

wax is pure evil and very very hard to get out

and you got a hell of alot to get out

it can take months of work to get o[it out thats why its best to start over and be sure its all gone

--
Melissa3
@melissa3
12 years ago
29 posts

okayy, yea i used less than half a container, not 2 containers haha, and thanks for getting back to me.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

if i said 2 that was a typo..1/2 a container is a hell of alot..and will be very very hard to get out

--
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

There really is no way to get your hair to lock quicker... You might be able to make it "look" like it has locked quicker but it really hasn't. Dreads take time no matter how you choose to start them. It sounds like you were steered in the completely wrong direction unfortunately. :( Anyone who does any kind of dread maintenance is usually just in it fot the money or really misinformed themselves.

The only thing that should be done to your head is the initial backcombing or twist and rip if you go one of those routes. Otherwise there is going completely natural and letting them do their own thing. There is no other good way to create dreads.

I am not sure if there is something else in your hair or not in those pictures but it looks like you have a lot of wax in them. Wax slows down the dreading process actually. It makes it much harder for hair to dread and just makes your dreads look like they are more formed but they are really not.

It is up to you what you want to do but IMO you need some serious wax removal done and don't do anything else to your dreads OR you need to start over..

I am not sure how far in you are but it may just be easier to start over. Also you should probably be washing your dreads around 2 times a week, minimum at least once a week I think. It helps them knot up quicker. At least if you have "premade" dreads (like backcombing or TNR) I am not 100% positive on the washing routine for natural dreadlocks but I am sure it's not much different.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its the same for natural washing 1-3 times a week is best

also if u got run=bber bands in take them out right away!

b45 u do wax removal

now lemme explain something about salons and root tightening

your dreads need room at the roots to move and dread 1st several months they will have 1-3 inches loose at the roots..they need that room..then they tighten up to 2 thn 1 then 1/2 inch where they stop

salons will o some very destructive things to tighten dreads twisting them so tight the hair pulls right out of your head or interlocking which does the same but causes weak spots..or crocheting wghich breaks hairs..etc etc this removes that gap neede to dread so no drading at all happens at the roots instead u replace it with twisting looping or weaving..and wean]=kness

in most cases this extreme tighteness causes the roots to thin the dreads to vbrwak and the hair from the scalp is pulled in so tightly u get traction alopecia and eventualy permenant balding1

never ever force the roots to be tight

thety tighten themselves over time

theres only 1 thing that speeds up drading ..sea salt

but over use it and u over dry the dreads and again they can break

anythinbg that rushes the process harms the dreads rto a degree

be partient

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form