Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

buildup on my scalp (not from product use)

Abbigirl
@abbigirl
12 years ago
14 posts

So I have been using a baking soda rinse to wash my hair. i'm pretty active and i work out at least a few times a week. each time i get sweaty i make sure to get my hair dry after, but after it dries i notice when i scratch my head all this white gunk is under my fingernails. i understand it is probably dead skin cells but its pretty gross and i want to have a clean head. how can i keep this away without washing my hair too often?

thanks

updated by @abbigirl: 01/13/15 09:24:55PM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

it could be that you have hard water and the bs isn't doing its job of breaking up the oils on your scalp and washing it away. the dreadlockshampoo.com soaps might be good for you or you could add some natural shampoo to your bs wash and see if that helps.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea id suggest those hampoos and theres no such thing as wasghing too often as long as they dry so if u waorkout 3 times a week wash 3 times a week

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

you could always just do a water rinse after your workout, too.

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

I agree with SE. You can never wash your hair too much. Wash your hair after every workout. What happens when our scalp sweats is it secretes oil along with sweat (which is usually pretty salty). If you don't wash that away from your scalp it is going to build up and turn white. The oil with mix with the salt making a not so nice residue, and salt with harden when left to dry, so it becomes kind of crusty. It will coat your scalp and can cause major buildup, blocking your scalp from breathing. Don't be scared that you are washing too often. Your locks love being clean and will often times dreads better when they are. If drying is one of the reasons you are apprehensive about washing, make sure you workout on a day when you don't have much going on after, or you at least have time to dry with a blow dryer (if necessary). Try to workout in the morning so your dreads can dry throughout the day. If you workout at night, just don't go to bed with wet locks. Over time that will cause molding. I hope this was helpful. :)

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

Forgot to add those shampoo's are great to try also. You can still do the BS rinse. Just try it every 2 or 3 washes and try the shampoo the rest of the time.

Alive She Cried
@alive-she-cried
12 years ago
51 posts

been having same trouble, and i don't have hard water i aslo use bs, i have the residue and my scalp just feelsdifferent, kinda feels rough or something i don't really know how to explain it but it's notpleasant

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts
I would try the shampoo and hold off on putting the bs mixture on your scalp. You could do the shampoo on your scalp then the bs on your dreads. Or just try the shampoo for a while and slowly add the bs back into your routine, and see if that helps.

Alive She Cried said:

been having same trouble, and i don't have hard water i aslo use bs, i have the residue and my scalp just feelsdifferent, kinda feels rough or something i don't really know how to explain it but it's notpleasant

Abbigirl
@abbigirl
12 years ago
14 posts

thanks everybody! this helps a lot :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form