Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do beads have any negative affects on your dreads?

Tabitha
@tabitha
12 years ago
16 posts

I'm 4 months in and I know people say to put beads over your loops because it helps tighten them. Most of the time my beads just end up above the loop or at a skinny point in the dread, if you can picture that. What my question is... is will the beads suffocate my dreads, or stop them from thickening? I continually put on beads and then get out of the shower and see everywhere but where the bead was is tightening up. I feel like I should keep the beads off until they fully mature, I don't wanna do anything to stunt their growth haha...

This sounds like a silly problem but I just wanna hear what you all think! Thanks guys

updated by @tabitha: 01/13/15 09:24:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why would u put beads over loops? loops belong there

beads can definatly prevent that area from thickening ofcouturse

they can cause mold inside the bead if its a long bead that doesnt let the dread dry within it

glass beads can sghatter if your a lil crazy like me i smashed 1 into my eyebrow 1/4 inch from bliding me

beads should be considered more of decioration they do help natural dreads dread ..more above and below tho just cause they hold sctions together so they dont get broken apart accidently

defenitely no point in using em on loops tho loops are just the dreads dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tabitha
@tabitha
12 years ago
16 posts

I like my loops. My goal is never putting them on the loops. The loops just become a convenient holder for bead though, so just above the loop. But that is what made me think it was holding that part of the dread from looping up.. which i didn't wanna do. I want moreeee looppsssss! but thanks for the feedback

Stephani
@stephani
12 years ago
70 posts

If you don't move the beads around on the dreads (like move them up and down), the bead will most likely become permanent as the dread thickens. I already have one that is pretty hard to move. I need to take it off because I think that part is weak.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i use wood beads. if they get stuck then i just take somepliers and crush them and pick out the pieces. it works really well:)

Stephani said:

If you don't move the beads around on the dreads (like move them up and down), the bead will most likely become permanent as the dread thickens. I already have one that is pretty hard to move. I need to take it off because I think that part is weak.

Tabitha
@tabitha
12 years ago
16 posts

Yes! that is actually what i did today! i think im gonna hold off on beads til my dreads aren't so loopy haha.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form