Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to dreading completely

Mike Stovel
@mike-stovel
12 years ago
13 posts

First I'd like to say HI my name is Mike and I currently live in Raleigh NC.

So my story I guess?

I've wanted dreads for pretty much as long as I can remember but as a child I was forced to cut my hair every month or so. Now for the first time I've let my hair grow and its still relatively short but I've decided to sparesly section my hair and begin the hardest thing in the world...not doing anything...well I guess its not that hard ;)

Ive included a picture of the sections Ive formulated hahaha

BTW im so glad I found this site its so perfect!

updated by @mike-stovel: 01/13/15 09:23:43PM
Mike Stovel
@mike-stovel
12 years ago
13 posts

Ok so the photo is actually in the attaachments wasnt quite sure how this site worked but yea! :)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

welcom e

you didnt have to section it it would havr sectioned itself but looks like should have a good start

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and for future refference above where u type is a toolbar with link picture media ertc etc buttons click the 2nd 1 to add photos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mike Stovel
@mike-stovel
12 years ago
13 posts

ahh! thank you for the knowledge! and yea my hair will figure itself out! :p

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

What did you do to section? It looks like you just twisted them. I'm guessing that you have super super surly hair to begin with. If all you did was twist it then all that work will come out as soon as you wash. And you should wash. 2-3 times a week when you are starting out. After they start to mature you can, if you want, slow down to once a week. But that's a ways off.

As for washing. Dreadlockshampoo.com actually has really good stuff. It smells great. The only problem I have found with them is that I have to be extra careful when I rinse, to make sure it all comes out. It does eventually, but don't rush it. The other options are Dr. Bronners soap. But People with hard water seem to have problems with that leaving residue. And where you are from, You probably do have hard water. The Baking soda/Apple Cider wash is the most popular. It's about a tbls BS to 3-4 cups of water. Unlike with the other soaps, you don't have to scrub at all with this. leave it in for about 10 minutes and then rinse it out. Then use a little less ACV to the same amount of water. Rinse that out right away. You can add whatever oils you want to to the BS wash. But I'd recommend no more than 20-25 drops. 25 is on the heavy side. I'd say 5 drops or each oil. and 25 drops is 5 different oils. That's a lot of different scents. so it's better to work with simpler smells. Spearmint and Eukaliptis is really nice and wakes you up in the morning.

Wash early, if you can, so you can let your hair dry completely. Don't wash again if your hair is still wet. In the beginning, your hair will dry faster. As they mature, it'll take a whole lot longer to dry. Mine are over 5 years old, now, and can take about 8-12 hours if I let them dry in the sun. Almost 24 hours in the winter when I don't want to go outside.

Listen to everyone here. They give really good advice. I'm glad you found this site too. It;' better to get started the healthy way, than have used wax and hear us all tell you that you need to comb them out and start from scratch. Good luck. Maybe start a timeline in the timeline/journal forum.

And don't freak out when you wash them again and it seems like nothing is happening. You usually need 3 or more inches to get started naturally. And don't worry so much about your sections looking uniform. It's better for them to grow into their own sections. Your scalp will thank you for it.

Mike Stovel
@mike-stovel
12 years ago
13 posts

thanks for the great information! Im enjoying this site very much and I do have thickish curliysh hair so i twisted them into sections and my sister put like gel in them which im sure is wrong but i showered right before i did it and washed and everything so we shall see where this journey takes us!

In regards to the timeline I plan on taking pictures every once in a while as things progress and ill throw a video together and share!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yeah, the gel was a mistake. I'd wash that out right away. Gel is obviously not as bad as wax because it does wash out, but it's hard to get it all out without scrubbing, and loosening your progress.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form