Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My journey.

Katy
@katy
12 years ago
2 posts

So, this might be a long post and I am sorry if it is. Anyways...here is my journey. I would love to hear your advice or comments on how my hot mess hair is looking :)

This is my hair (and my amazing husband) about a week before I got it done. It was already really dry and in this photo it was straightened because I have randomly wavy (not all over) hair.

23 MAR 2012......Day 1: Please excuse my dirty mirror. Having two small children really makes it hard to keep clean every day. Enlisted the help of a friend and backcombed and waxed to start. I discovered that I have a lot more hair than I thought and after 5 hours my head was feeling okay, just really sore in a lot of places. My hair looked pretty good, but more like twists than anything, and I have never done this to my hair, so I have no clue if it is normal? So, I was pretty satisfied with how my hair was looking, but I did not like the way that it felt. The wax was really not a feeling I liked in my hair....then found this site and met SE...then removed my wax and learned a little more about how to make my hair better. :)

One week of dreads. First wash (BS/ACV). Looking pretty good? I think? Maybe? I am not sure. And my phone really did not capture a great photo of what my hair looked like. Eh, I think it looks decent. Maybe? I am going to tell myself yes as a boost of confidence. :)

Okay, this is 9 days into my process and my hair is a hot mess...literally sticking out every which way it can, some places really matted, some not at all. (this is the day some asshat that likes Dreadheadhq told me that they would look better if I combed them out and used their product. jerk) My sections are too small in some spots in this photo, so I decided to attempt to get them to form together...see next photo...

So, this is what the back is looking like. I have re-sectioned some of my hair in order to get the dreads bigger. I have really thick (but fine) hair, so there is a ton and I am scared of getting a giant congo in the back of my hair... I think that this looks good? Maybe? I have no clue. There are days I wake up and fee great about my hair and others I just reach for a beanie and wait till the next day. :)

This is what my hair looks like sort of up close. I think it is okay. A lot of the backcombing took really well in the back of my head (where it naturally dreaded every day pre dreads anyways) There are a lot of places where I have 1 inch of root, then 2 inches of dread then crazy ends that do what they want. I have pretty much given up on those.

So, I would love some advice or some thoughts on how things are progressing? I am not even sure where to start with these. I am just winging it :) Today I am getting beads in hopes of some sort of control if that is even possible.

updated by @katy: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your at day what? 9? concidering how young they are doing fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katy
@katy
12 years ago
2 posts

I am about 2 weeks in now.... Doing fine sounds good to me :)

soaring eagle said:

your at day what? 9? concidering how young they are doing fine

Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

Sounds all normal and good to me. Just make sure you don't keep backcombing. Just do it once to start then let them be! Some will tighten some will loosen and it is most likely going to be awhile before they start looking like anything you would call dreadlocks. Even at a year my first time around my hair was still a bit crazy the 2nd, 3rd and 4th year were the best!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form