Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loose hair maintence. Good or Bad?

Eric Rose
@eric-rose
12 years ago
6 posts

So I've had my dreads now for about 2 and 1/2 months now. I did them using the TnR method and they are dreading very nicely. I wash them once or twice a week with Baking Soda and ACV Rinse, I also use Tea Tree oil from time to time when I wash it. So far so good. But I have a TON of loose hairs. The ones that are actually coming loose from the dread itself don't bother me too much because it's more frizzy and tends to go away and come back, I know that's just part of the process. The undreaded hair at the scalp doesn't bother me either because I don't like that fake sectioned dread look with bald spots between the dreads, looking like the dreads actually grow out of your scalp dreaded. However this mess of loose hairs at the scalp going every which way tends to get annoying. I've been taking the loose hairs and and wrapping them around the closest dread, being careful not to grab hairs from neighboring dreads.This helpskeep them lookingtidy until I wash them again, then I have a crazy loose mess all over again.Is this a good thing or a bad thing to be doing?

updated by @eric-rose: 01/13/15 09:22:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they wont dread if u keep doing that just leave em alone and they will dread all by themselves your only at 2 months they will have alot of look=se hairs in a couple more months they will be dreads..but only if u leave em alone

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

Those loose hairs do eventually join another dread, or they make their own dreads, so just leave them alone. If you keep wrapping them around the nearest dread (I used to do that too or it'd keep flopping down into my face lol) then you'll keep touching it and hindering its progress. I have a few baby dreads that used to be loose hair, so just put up with the annoyingness and it'll go away eventually.

Bruce Marley
@bruce-marley
12 years ago
1 posts

I used separate my hair aggressively, because I don't want big dreads. I stopped recently, because I was afraid of the damage I might be doing. I have noticed the roots are more poofy now. I still separate, but more carefully. It is frustrating, because my hairs are always joining.

Eric Rose
@eric-rose
12 years ago
6 posts

Yeah, I don't necessarily want them to become new dreads, I just want them to join in with the closest corresponding dread. I thought that doing this might help the loose hair to join the dread. I saw a guy with long ass natural dreads do it on youtube. I figured I would try it. But so far all it does is tidy them up for the time being, they don't stay.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

then they wont join willthey just leave enm be and they will either joijn or become new ones but u gotta kleabe enm be a good while

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

you could thread the hair through a large eyed embroidery needle and then feed it back into the dreadlocks it belongs with. i've actually never done it myself but i've heard others say that it works well.

Eric Rose
@eric-rose
12 years ago
6 posts

that sounds a little too close to crocheting to me. The last thing that I want to do is to poke a hole in my dreads.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form