Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

advice on happiness

Naboo
@naboo
12 years ago
3 posts
So I'm in my 2nd year at university and I'm questioning what I'm actually doing with my life more than ever.My high school years were pretty average, got good grades, played sport made a couple of friends (none really that I'm still in regular contact with). But I can't say I actually enjoyed it that much. So come university... Move to another city/town far away from home to go to probably one of the best/if not the best universities in South Africa, especially for the degree I'm doing. And good uni's in SA I can count on a couple of fingers.Before I even started uni, I didn't really have a clear direction that I wanted to go with my life, it is difficult for me because if you say asked me "what are your interests, or hobies?" .... I would reply... I have no idea. I'm finding the course I'm studying quite difficult but not impossible, but the work is completely mathemathically based (engineering) so its really hard to actually enjoy the work we do in class. We don't do much practical either. I don't find listening to the lecturers that interesting or sitting for the entire day inside staring at a calculus book either, or util late at night.So anyway,.. I really do have high ambitions for where I want to be in life, its just the path in getting there that I'm not so sure on. I'm not haopy with my life at the moment, and haven't been in a long time... But at the same time if I ask myself what else would I rather be doing... I'd say nothing, because I honestly have no idea. I'm not spoilt for cash, so every second of the day I gotta constantly worry how much I'm spending or can I afford to go out with friends on a friday night, or do I need to buy food tomorrow to last a couple of days.I'm scared if dropping out of uni, or changing career paths. My parents wouldn't be happy. But the person that would be most disapointed would be me, cause I know what I'm capable of,and have high expectations, but i would consider myself as a failure. I'm worried if a change paths now I'm gana regret it at a later stage. And my life seems to revolve around doubt and regret. Terrible yes.... But true. I should probably ease up on myself and not take life to seriously and try enjoy it, but struggling to do so. When ever I speak to family its always.. "Just hang in there, it'll get better"Sorry if this sounds all depressing, but feel as though a needa vent it out a bit.
updated by @naboo: 01/13/15 09:22:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why have such high ambitions if you are unhappy and have no idea what you want to do why live up to expectations are they really your expectations or someone elses why feel like a failure if you decide to do something that makes you happy

it sounds like your living a life of going through the motions ..im suposed to do this so i do it ..why i dont know

you are allowed to change paths

your allowed to wander aimlessly till you find a path you like

your allowed to sit still and contemplate without havingto choose

my advice..explore options find interests dont commit to anything till you find something that truly interests you

get part time jobs try diferent fields volunteer

when yiu find something that you really enjot[]y then you switch to study that

there must be some things you like to do right?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Well... did you go into school with a major in mind right away? That's not always a bad thing, but you should have taken a few electorates so you could get an idea of what else is out there. In the first 2 years of college, you don't do jack that isapplicable. I'd recommend you do what you can to make friends with your professors. Talk to them during office hours and ask them what kind of classes you should take that fit you more personally. You obviously have to take core classes, but you might be interested in taking an art class so you could focus on being creative with design and style. If you want to be an architect, you don't want to be boring. Art might boost your imagination.

I sort of agree with Eagle, but in reality, the first 2 years of school can be kind of boring. It's not until you get into your higher classes that it gets better. All of those kids that you can't stand in introductory classes will drop out, or not make it into the higher level classes. Once you're there, you'll have much more in common with your class mates.

I hate to be like your parents, but if you do stick with it, it will get better. I would really urge you to talk to your professors on more of a friendly level than a student-teacher level. They are there to help you and most of them like getting to know you better. Once they do, they'll be able to point you in a more personalized direction.

I'm a Bio major, but I plan on studying mycology later on. So while other bio majors will be taking micro biology and organic chemistry, I'll be focusing on botany and ecology. I wouldn't have though of that on my own. A professor I have had for 3 different classes, now, sent me in that direction.

That too, if you can get the same professor semester after semester, you A: get to know their teaching style and what their tests look like, and B: get to know them better and they get to know you better

Good luck, keep your eyes out for classes that aren't just the normal routine classes other engineering majors are taking

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form