Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Short hair, Twist n Rip??

Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

Hey I'm ginge, I have 5-6 inch long hair at the fringe and the back, and it's about 3-4 inches in the middle, about 2 inches at the sides, Kinda like a mini mullet.

I made the decision to go dready about a week ago, I've had lots of good advice with washing it and stuff, and i've got a few crazy ones forming in the front and back, they're cool, I find a new little skinny one every day!

I've seen some people with hair kinda around my length being given advice to twist n rip?

I'm wondering is that advice only appropriate if you have short hair so you're only harming the ends but it'll get you started? Because that would be handy if I could do that just while it's short?

Can anyone tell me whether I'd me making a massive mistake? Thanks!

updated by @green-head: 02/03/18 12:45:04PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Not a mistake at all. Twist and Rip is good for any length hair. With hair that short, though, it'll be some time before you see any real progress. I'd recommend TnR and then if you have some beads, put some them on a few. That will keep those ones sectioned away from the ones without beads. They will knot up a little faster that way.

Get yourself some Dr. Bronners or Dreadlockshampoo.com shampoo. Or you can go with the Baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash. Just keep washing to get your hair nice and ready, by stripping the oils away. Liquid is better for when you are starting out. Once they are mature, you can use a bar.

You might here people recommend a sea salt spray, but not how to use it. Do not EVER leave it on your hair for more than an hour. I spray my hair really well with it about an hour before I wash it. Then rinse it out really well. Then use soap to wash.

You should start a journal/timeline. I'd love to see your progress from short hair to locks to long locks.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your seeing dreads in a week naturaly why nit wait a week?

tnr is fine if you dont want nastural f=dra=eads its the next best method its fir any hasir length over 4 inches

but since your already dreading why not keep dreadijng they thicken up over time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

I was thinking of doing that too, my profile pic is a few days with no brushing but i've dyed it semi-perm black now and twisted an ripped it into a few more sections, left bits inbetween whispy though, gonna let them do their own crazy thing, i'll take some pics :) thanks for the advice x

Baba Fats said:

Not a mistake at all. Twist and Rip is good for any length hair. With hair that short, though, it'll be some time before you see any real progress. I'd recommend TnR and then if you have some beads, put some them on a few. That will keep those ones sectioned away from the ones without beads. They will knot up a little faster that way.

Get yourself some Dr. Bronners or Dreadlockshampoo.com shampoo. Or you can go with the Baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash. Just keep washing to get your hair nice and ready, by stripping the oils away. Liquid is better for when you are starting out. Once they are mature, you can use a bar.

You might here people recommend a sea salt spray, but not how to use it. Do not EVER leave it on your hair for more than an hour. I spray my hair really well with it about an hour before I wash it. Then rinse it out really well. Then use soap to wash.

You should start a journal/timeline. I'd love to see your progress from short hair to locks to long locks.

Green Head
@green-head
12 years ago
31 posts

mine was a mohican but then i cut the crown a bit shorter for a mullet lol. I'm tryna upload some pics now!

charlie bear said:

your hair seriously sounds exactly like mine. same different lengths and weirdness to it ;) i'm actually growing out a mohawk, so mine is every which length but even, and it's incredibly short to boot. mine is doing it's natural thing but i have used twist and rip as well as back combing in the past and i gotta tell you, your hair is going to stand UP. up and out and all sideshow bob like. but its going to dread whether you choose to let it do its own thing or help it along with tnr. it's all a matter of your own preference. i'm anxious to watch your hair progress as id like to see where we are both at as our hair grows-im charlie (charlene) btw, im gonna add you on here :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form