Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Backcombers to the rescue!?

Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

You know being that I have done this before I would have thought the second time around would have been easier but I am totally second guessing things here!

So I am doing a combo backcomb/twist and rip method as I did the first time creating dreads 9 years ago. The thing is I would like them to come out similar to how they did last time. Last time I also used wax and such and this time Iam not.

I had my husband section my hair for me in one inch sections. I had my boyfriend at the time do the same thing last time as well, but I think this time my husband was more accurate on sizing this time. The thing is I just backcombed a few sections and the "dreads" seem really thin and I am worried they are not going to be the size they were last time.

I thought backcombed dreads got tighter with time (after the "messy" stage) not the other way around. That being said there is some TNR mixed in but I actually think the TNR looks "thicker" then the backcombing! Is this because I am not using wax that they seem thinner then last time or am I somehow doing it differently OR do my sections need to be bigger!?

I love big dreads so I don't want tiny ones. I cannot go too big though because of my hair type (fine/straight/thin) and then i would have huge spots of no dreads.

I am just totally freaking out and wish I had pictures of my first days of dreads the first time around so I could see if it is just me or if something is different.

My picture here is off the first time around and I want them to look as close to that again as possible...

If you look in the picture below at the "dread" I am holding it is tiny! There are ones across my forehead already finished as well. Are they all going to get tighter or looser?

I wish I could remember from last time! :(

updated by @blessed-earth-mama: 01/13/15 09:20:20PM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

from what i've learned on here, dreads will shrink up and double in size as they mature. i have yet to have that happen. i'm not sure if it has to do with my hair type or what. i've had some shrinkage but not like others i've seen on here and it has in no way doubled in size. mine are still thin. i'm on the natural route though so i don't know if that changes anything. if for some reason i needed to start over i would backcomb versus t&r. i tried both before stating over with natural and the t&r wouldn't hold in my thin hair but the backcombing did. also t&r on thin hair just looks too braided for my taste.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they will tyicken up

dont worry they look good

but ui gitta rtell ya

'if your trying to get em to look like last time thetyy probably wont no matter how u try

in fact they will look better

2nd sets tenbd to

butthey ne4ver look the same

in fact unless your doing salion dreads and maintw]aining them at a salon its pretty iompossible to get 2 sets of dreads to look simular

every set is unique like every edread in a set is unique

just rest axsured that 2nd sets are almost alwats better then 1st sets and the fact you avoided wax this time guaranteesthey are better

thick dreads when u initialy backcomb i think comes from the way you do it making em swell out sausage shaped the faft u tnr too makes them more dread sghape less sausage shape

this is why i suggested tnr only no backcomb they wouldb[]nt looj so swollen at 1st

if the sections are 1/2 inch or bigger they will get alot bigger then what u have now

your fine

and u can always congo later if u want fatter but they will be fine

count em

is there under 40?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

Thank you Heather. I also was not a big fan of the braided look either but when mixed in with backcombing it doesn't look like that so much. And thank you SE you def helped me feel a little better. The first time was easier because I didn't have any past experience to compare to, I just had to do it and see what happened.

All the sections are about an 1nch, not much more or less on any of them... And there are 42 of them... I just thought now would be the time to resection if I really needed to (but I def don't want to!). Is 42 too much? I wish I knew how many I had last time! If I ever counted I surely forgot!

And I know, you are right they def will not be the same as before because that is impossible! I just wanted a "similar looking" set of babies. :)And Like I said I LOVE thicker dreads I just cant make them too big or I would end up with lots of "bald" spots and 4 dreads lol...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

42 is a great average mediun=m thick 30 is fat 20 is huge under 20 massive

if u look at this pic

this was 4 years ago aboyt at that point i had ..i have no idea how many i tried counting i think i got 200 plus 40 babies so i started letting them congo

i now hacve about 50ish at the bases with 80+ ends at a guess

no base is over an inch but many are close to that

40 is a real good average that will be managable thickish nit too thick to dry too slow

not too many to be tangling in everything

i think your good

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

Thanks SE. Your dreads will never stop amazing! They are awesome. :D I know congos will happen too. I mean I suppose if you paid really close attention you could avoid it happening (maybe!)but I know I had a few last time.

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

Blessed Earth Mama, I'm sure your new set will be just as awesome as your last one was. I save a few photos of dreads on my computer for inspiration and I have one of your old set. Hope that's ok.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i tried hard to avoidem for 18 years i only had a couple maybe 3 or 4

then i decided why bother since some of the really skinny ones would break at ground level

so i only seperate the ones that are already thick now and very rare

tho the new soap makes me so knotty b]now i do seperate around the ears every wash

and a few other spots need seperating often now

but i went 4 years without hardly ever seperatibng at all and wnt congo crazy..i love it

wasnt a fan b4 this tho..lol

at least not of the massive ones

--
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

Sure! I am glad you like them! :D And thankyou I loved my last ones so much!

Sussi said:

Blessed Earth Mama, I'm sure your new set will be just as awesome as your last one was. I save a few photos of dreads on my computer for inspiration and I have one of your old set. Hope that's ok.

Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

Yea I think I had about 4 in my 4 years. I don't mind them at all I just am wary of the "bald" spots that might be created when they join.

soaring eagle said:

i tried hard to avoidem for 18 years i only had a couple maybe 3 or 4

then i decided why bother since some of the really skinny ones would break at ground level

so i only seperate the ones that are already thick now and very rare

tho the new soap makes me so knotty b]now i do seperate around the ears every wash

and a few other spots need seperating often now

but i went 4 years without hardly ever seperatibng at all and wnt congo crazy..i love it

wasnt a fan b4 this tho..lol

at least not of the massive ones

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form