Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi, im Chris, and i think i fucked up.

Chris Smith
@chris-smith
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello new fam. My names Chris and heres my story.

Im originally from Nevada but moved to Portland.

I had wanted dreads for some time, so i grew out my hair for about 2 years. It was aroun 10-12 inches when i finally decided to get them done. I didnt really know what i should do, so i started looking around at what i could do. Eventually i settleed on a salon here in town. I got them done last december by the crochet technique and have also gone back in 2 times to get them tightened. I had not known about this site untill today, and after doing a little browsing, it appears that i have made a mistake with the method in which i have gotten mine done.

I have used no wax, nor oil. The only thing that has touched my hair is Dr. Broners Magic Soap. The only things i have done so far is wash them and go in and get them tightened, through the crocheting method. If this method is bad for my hair, then why does my stylist do it? is it really a matter of her needing to get paid? i just dont see it. So i need some help. Apparently i should be doing Nothing besides washing, but then why does she always want to see me? Her mother also has dreads and they look great, so its hard for me to think that shes just doing this for the money.

Im very thankful and happy i found this forum site becuase there is a lot of knowledge and wisdom on here about dreads, and thats going to help me immensly. So, what im taking from everybody, is that my dreads are now going to take longer to dread then originally planed, and to stop getting them tighted, Anything else?

updated by @chris-smith: 05/04/20 10:09:51PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

exacxtly and during the recovery they will get extra fuzzy due to broken hairs

why they do it? well money and it instantly looks mature ..looks so they can trick u into thinking its a good idea actually many trick themselves and dont realize its so bad i[or they think its bad if u do it alot not if you do it once

but mostly its the money

when you make a no maintenance style b[very high maintenance you create repeat business

you keep em coming back paying hundreds that become thousands then the dreads become weak and messed up so u pay to fix em

they make u believe you are not capable of taking care of your own hair

throw the hook away fire the salon wash and separate and enjoy the carefree lifestyle of having to do nothing at all to your hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i personally don't believe that these people who are crocheting dreads for a living know that they are destroying your hair. i'm sure the majority of them are just offering a service that they feel helps people obtain dreadlocks without product. its not like they're evil or something.

just stop going in and getting them maintained and they should be fine.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i used to believe that

and in many cases still do however when you make them aware io]of how bad it is they refuse to listen and deny it is even if they say yes its g[pharmful if you do it alot or with poor techniqy-ue

they still refuse to concider other ways

but not all are like that just have talked to a few who are

Heather said:

i personally don't believe that these people who are crocheting dreads for a living know that they are destroying your hair. i'm sure the majority of them are just offering a service that they feel helps people obtain dreadlocks without product. its not like they're evil or something.

just stop going in and getting them maintained and they should be fine.

--
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I think most people who do it are ignorant, not greedy. I mean, I can't tell you the number of websites I've come across saying that dreads will NEVER happen unless you give them a head-start, and how they need to be maintained. Just completely wrong information. If you're taught this info is right, you're going to believe it.

And SE, I think they continue to believe themselves rather than the fact that it's damaging is simply because you often can't see the damage until so far down the line. With crocheting, you have to keep crocheting them or they'll look fuzzy, right? So when they start looking fuzzy, they probably think it's how dreads get unless you tighten them. It's all ignorance for the most part.

Alexander Biando
@alexander-biando
12 years ago
1 posts

SE is right... its MONEY obviously..... they're in the dread business so they wont tell you negative things on the method they are using so you'll keep coming back for more...and for them it simply means more CASH,.and its just their fee you're paying..not included the products that they offer you (shampoos,gel,etc)

So a little friendly advice...let your hair do the dreading and you and your dread will live happily ever after..

Chris Smith
@chris-smith
12 years ago
3 posts

its just difficult to believe that every person is greedy, or in this case most people are misinformed. disappointing.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

well you can blame skillteacher on youtube fir the misinformation his vids on crochrting dreads have like 300,000 views even though in 1 he pulls off a dread with zero effort it just falls off in his hands even tho it showed no sign of thinning or weakness

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form