Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Day ONE :) Should I sleep with my hair down?

deviant kitten
@deviant-kitten
12 years ago
3 posts

Hi everyone! NEW to dreads, though I have been contemplating and researching probably for a few years now. I have decided IT IS TIME! I have long hair- tail bone length- and because of that I always sleep with my hair up in a bun. It just gets bloods annoying having my hair down when I sleep. BUT- is wearing your hair down necessary for newbie dreads? If so, I think I can get over my annoyance. To tell you the truth, it has been years since I have worn my hair down when in bed. I also wear it up pretty much every day- but again, is it necessary to have your hair down all the time in order to help the hair to dread? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. Wish me luck!

updated by @deviant-kitten: 01/13/15 09:18:00PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Wear it down. Wearing it up won't hurt them, but it will delay the process. It bothers me too. So you know what I do... I toss it over the end of the bed above my head, so I don't roll all over them. Then, pretty much no matter how you roll around at night, it'll stay over the end of the bed. No more getting tangle up in it

Guillaume
@guillaume
12 years ago
16 posts

I'd say leave it down. When you sleep, you roll over, you move and stuff. It makes knots, that why your hair looks crazy when you get out of bed. But when it starts locking, you'll see no difference between night and day. By the way, what method are you using?

deviant kitten
@deviant-kitten
12 years ago
3 posts

"Supervised natural" method, lol. I am just letting my hair do what it wants to do, but down the road I will probably palm roll and band them to keep them from being flat and overly-loopy

Guillaume said:

I'd say leave it down. When you sleep, you roll over, you move and stuff. It makes knots, that why your hair looks crazy when you get out of bed. But when it starts locking, you'll see no difference between night and day. By the way, what method are you using?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

dont bother palm rolling anbd definately dont band them

let me tell ya my siss ex had haok]ir your length anfd braided it every night

the 1 time he left it down he had 6 massive dreads by morning

it will dread very fast so you will have to seperate more often thats all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
deviant kitten
@deviant-kitten
12 years ago
3 posts

Right on! Thanks so much, Soaring Eagle! BTW- do you make youtube videos? I swear you look a lot like a guy I have come across on YT. xoxoxo

soaring eagle said:

dont bother palm rolling anbd definately dont band them

let me tell ya my siss ex had haok]ir your length anfd braided it every night

the 1 time he left it down he had 6 massive dreads by morning

it will dread very fast so you will have to seperate more often thats all

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Don't bother banding them. It tends to pull out hair and doesn't really help the process. If you want to separate them, just use beads. They won't break or get stuck in your hair. Plus the rubber in bands tends to rot after a while when they dry out. You don't need that going on in your hair.

And palm rolling doesn't do much. I formed a few of mine through palm rolling, and they did mat faster, but I had to do it so much for so long that I have a permanent callus on my palm from it. Plus the ones I just let happen naturally look exactly the same. I can't even tell which is which anymore

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form