Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New - Need Help!

Katurah
@katurah
12 years ago
3 posts

Hello all! My name's Katurah. I'm completely a noob when it comes to dreads. I currently don't have any, nor have I ever had any. But I would like to start the journey.

I've read into different methods, maintenance, etc. and I've asked some of my friends who have dreads. I'm still not sure which method I would like to do. Before I begin, I have a lot of questions. 2 things you should know:

Firstly: I should say that I think I want to start with the backcombing method, then let them go naturally. I like the more "neater" look. I've read pros and cons on all methods. My good friend just recently did the backcombing and they look beautiful! But she lives out of state and can't help me. (I actually have no friends to help/give advice that live in this state, sadly!)

Second: I have thin hair but a lot of it. I'm not that tender-headed either. I like to dye my hair a lot and it's pretty strong.

Okay. So, first question: Is backcombing a good way to go? If not, what would you suggest?

Second: Is it difficult to dye dreads?

Okay, so I guess that's not a lot of questions. But any answers/feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

updated by @katurah: 01/13/15 09:17:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

this is what id suggest

1 go natural if your not going natural then go natural 2 weeks and let it section itself then use twist n rip on the natural sections tho in 2 weeks u might fall in love with the natural process so decide to stick it out

as far as im concerned backcombing is just barely above the not recomended line its not 1 id recomend but wouldnt warn not to use it tho i wiould suggest theres probly better options

dying dreads is lil iffy it can be done you gotta be more careful id recomend not if u can avoid it but if u must then dye just the outter layter dont work iy inside the dreads and rinxse rinse rinse like crazy after

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katurah
@katurah
12 years ago
3 posts

thanks for the advice! i do have another question: how exactly does the hair naturally separate? I'm in college and I do plan on pursuing a professional career. If I do dreads I plan on it being a pretty permanent thing so I do need them looking a little more.. organized. Otherwise I wouldn't be so hesitant on going naturally.

soaring eagle said:

this is what id suggest

1 go natural if your not going natural then go natural 2 weeks and let it section itself then use twist n rip on the natural sections tho in 2 weeks u might fall in love with the natural process so decide to stick it out

as far as im concerned backcombing is just barely above the not recomended line its not 1 id recomend but wouldnt warn not to use it tho i wiould suggest theres probly better options

dying dreads is lil iffy it can be done you gotta be more careful id recomend not if u can avoid it but if u must then dye just the outter layter dont work iy inside the dreads and rinxse rinse rinse like crazy after

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it just does if you dont comb it sepctions itself perfectly

and technicaly your wrong

if you want to dread permenantly and have them guaranteed to be acceptable in any career then you should go natural..why?

itgf you say made them or had salon dreads or overly neat maintained dreads they are a fashion statement only and your employer can say cob\mb em out cut them or neatten them up or cover them up forcing you to do harmful maintenance

but

if you go natural yopu can claim they are of a religios or spiritual nature so by law they cannot make you cut comb tidy or cover them they can however request you do but then its up to you to say ok i]or dsay im sorry but i cant its against my beliefs

see what im saying?

by voluntarily making your dreads conform your screwing yourself out of your 1 and only legal deffence

tho many do choose to do sio rather then fight for their rights and often it does make the employer accept them more easily but if u do get an employer that doesnt like dreads they can say cut or be fired and sin=ce you already went against all the traditions of spiritual dreading you cant for an examople claim that yoir dreading as a buddhist sepration from attachments to vanity if you say smooth out every lump and bump to try to make enm look perfect

or you cant cklaim to be a nazarite and its against your vow to let a comb toucvh your hair if you backcombsd..and you cant even say you just believe in being natural as can be if you do unatural maintenance

just sokmething to consider

and besides

a year from now they will be looking great and not so messy and all you need to look professional is tie them back or style em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Katurah
@katurah
12 years ago
3 posts

I do see what you're saying, and that's is a very good point. I guess part of me is impatient and I want results quicker haha but I do want to do it for spiritual reasons, and the individuality. But I guess that's why they say patience is a virtue! Thanks much for the advice, I will definitely consider it :)

soaring eagle said:

it just does if you dont comb it sepctions itself perfectly

and technicaly your wrong

if you want to dread permenantly and have them guaranteed to be acceptable in any career then you should go natural..why?

itgf you say made them or had salon dreads or overly neat maintained dreads they are a fashion statement only and your employer can say cob\mb em out cut them or neatten them up or cover them up forcing you to do harmful maintenance

but

if you go natural yopu can claim they are of a religios or spiritual nature so by law they cannot make you cut comb tidy or cover them they can however request you do but then its up to you to say ok i]or dsay im sorry but i cant its against my beliefs

see what im saying?

by voluntarily making your dreads conform your screwing yourself out of your 1 and only legal deffence

tho many do choose to do sio rather then fight for their rights and often it does make the employer accept them more easily but if u do get an employer that doesnt like dreads they can say cut or be fired and sin=ce you already went against all the traditions of spiritual dreading you cant for an examople claim that yoir dreading as a buddhist sepration from attachments to vanity if you say smooth out every lump and bump to try to make enm look perfect

or you cant cklaim to be a nazarite and its against your vow to let a comb toucvh your hair if you backcombsd..and you cant even say you just believe in being natural as can be if you do unatural maintenance

just sokmething to consider

and besides

a year from now they will be looking great and not so messy and all you need to look professional is tie them back or style em

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form