Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Anyone Had A Bad Experience With Their Dreads When Getting A Job?

Nick8
@nick8
13 years ago
14 posts

just curious? considering i'm unemployed and just started my dreads. my folks seem to think i'm going to have a harder time finding a job now. not that it's not already hard as hell due to the recession.

updated by @nick8: 01/13/15 09:12:58PM
baby britt
@baby-britt
13 years ago
112 posts

if you want it, you can find it. might have to put yourself out there more, apply to a few more places, and be extra attentive, respectful, and up-beat in the interviews. but i'm a firm believer that if you send the message out into the universe that you need a job, the universe will answer!

Nick8
@nick8
13 years ago
14 posts

i can dig it. that's basically how i felt about it too.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i've always avoided jobs working for myself but a few years back i did apply for 1 job and had absolutely no problenm getting it

ive told this story b4 but i'll tell it again interview i arrive with dreads tucked in a tam and beard dreads tucked away inside my shirt out of sight

5 min talking to the lady and i got the job (managing 200 website designers)

1st day on the job i arrived the same way dreads all tucked away but then saw the rceptionists guaged ears with crystals poking thriugh her lo0bes so off came the tam out spilled the dreads to touch the floor and just then the pres of the company wanders by stops dead and just says..wow.. then went on about his work.. that was the 1 and only comment about my dreads

9 months later after having numerouse meetings with the heads of multi natuioal orgs politicians heads of financial institutions etc etc (including the producers and others from pbs) the pres 1 day came up and tells me he is putting together promo stuff like a calander posters stuff like that and wanted my picture to be featured on them

so..dreads were never an issue maybe an asset'

in faxct even tho i was kinda the low man i=on the totem pole in the company heirachy all the clients would call me when they needed something

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nick8
@nick8
13 years ago
14 posts

thanks for all the help guys. this makes me feel much more confident that i will find work.

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

Aside from the locks, I've had blue hair on and off for most of my life and it's never gotten in my way.
It almost did once, when I was being interviewed for a store-clerk job and the employer was concerned that some of the little old ladies that made up some of the loyal customer base might be put off by it, coincidentally a little old lady walked in and went "Oh, I like your hair! I wish I had the nerve to do that."
I replied with a thank you, and then told the employer that this was the usual response I'd get from little old ladies.

Also, since I felted my locks I've gotten more of the same response from older women. "How did you do them?" and "Oh, they're pretty, can I touch 'em?" and "I wish I had the nerve."

It could be a big issue if you're looking for the most serious of serious jobs, but all in all, it shouldn't, not if you're well dressed (not fancy clothes, but neat and fitting), well mannered, and honest.
Of course not all employers are going to be happy 'bout it, but one can always come to an understanding, suggest you wear 'em tied back at work and such. And if that's not enough,....
... well...
Who wants to work for a tight ass anyway?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I've always had strange hair from 2 mohawks, every colour you can imagine, and 2 sets of locks. I never had a problem with a job. If you're afraid, you can always tie them back. Most places don't really care as long as you have the rightattitudeand experiences. When they call your last boss, it helps to get a good recomendation, even though they're not legally allowed to ask how your workperformancewas

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form