Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

broken dread??

Lucyd Cydney
@lucyd-cydney
13 years ago
11 posts

So I've been a lurker on this site for a few months, using it for info on how to care for my new dreads. I started them about 2 months ago by backcombing them in (no wax or anything, just backcomb). I read soon after that this was quite damaging to the hair so I immediately stoppedmaintenancingthem this way (maybe only once or twice did i try palm rolling and re back combing). I only wash them maybe 3 times a week right now, with just residue/conditioner free soap, but am wanting to switch to the baking soda method soon. But tonight I noticed something strange, one of my dreads seemed to have been ripped off? Like the top part of it is completely detached from the rest of the dread. My roots stick together alot and this bothers me so I seperate them apart almost daily (not all of them, some of them are real thin and I kind of just want to grow together). I was wondering if I might have accidentally ripped this piece from another dread because its right next to a real thin dread? Or if somehow my dreads are ripping apart and I am not noticing? This worries me a bit and I have not found a similar thread about it. Theres a picture of the ripped piece I included.

updated by @lucyd-cydney: 02/14/15 10:19:52AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

most likely from rebackombing

assumming u never interlocked or crochetted or anything like that

it sure looks to me to have been from rebackcombing

how many times total would u say u backcombed?

backcombing one times damaging enough over and over yea can most likely cause that

stick your hands in your pockets an d keep em there except to seperate eweeekly

other then that dont mess with em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lucyd Cydney
@lucyd-cydney
13 years ago
11 posts

i never did anything other than backcombing and i did that maybe 3 times...but the last time i did it was at the very end of august and this must have just now happened. i probably palm rolled a few times more than that though, but its still been awhile since i've done that either. and whats weird now is i washed my hair and that piece is still soaking wet when the rest of my hair is just kind of damp. i cant believe i wouldn't notice a large chunk of dread falling off my head?? i mean thats several inches missing off that piece. do you think its possible when i was seperating roots once i accidentally ripped it from the dread next to it? because theres hole in the roots of the dread next to it and it looks way way weaker than the rest of my dreads.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm possibly

odd that it stayed wet longer but also ..umm

it looks like the tips been blunted did u blunt the tips of others

had u left rubber bands in for awhile

rebackcombings damaging but 3 times i wouldnt ecxpect to caus e this

are u sure it fell off and just didnt shrink up and blunt itself?

--
Lucyd Cydney
@lucyd-cydney
13 years ago
11 posts

no i didn't blunt any tips, in fact all the lower parts of my dreads are just completely loose still (just starting to loop up and starting to dread in), i didnt even backcomb the ends at all just left them to dread themselves. so because of this most of my dreads are pretty damn tight at the top and then loose at the bottom and all my ends are basically still just regular combed hair. theres a few that are almost pretty tight all the way thru but very few.

didn't use rubber bands at all.

yeah it almost looks like part of my dread was just cut off from it or something its weird. like the loose hair from my dread was just completely separated from the tight part on the top. theres another skinner blunt tip that look like it lost a dread too right next to it just alot smaller.

Lucyd Cydney
@lucyd-cydney
13 years ago
11 posts

and i don't think it shrunk up considering its literally several inches shorter than the rest of my dreads. that piece is only a few inches long and the rest of my hair comes down to my shoulders. it looks like part of the dread was ripped from it, i'm wondering if my hair got pulled hard recently and i'm just not remembering.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm crazy night maybe haha

it should take alot to break a dread tho

but they will shrink drasticly ive seen em shrink from hips to ears but that would mean its tighter and more mature tgen the ret which u said it dries way slower so it might be

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

any chance someone was being mean and cut em in your sleep?

Lucyd Cydney said:

no i didn't blunt any tips, in fact all the lower parts of my dreads are just completely loose still (just starting to loop up and starting to dread in), i didnt even backcomb the ends at all just left them to dread themselves. so because of this most of my dreads are pretty damn tight at the top and then loose at the bottom and all my ends are basically still just regular combed hair. theres a few that are almost pretty tight all the way thru but very few.

didn't use rubber bands at all.

yeah it almost looks like part of my dread was just cut off from it or something its weird. like the loose hair from my dread was just completely separated from the tight part on the top. theres another skinner blunt tip that look like it lost a dread too right next to it just alot smaller.

--
Lucyd Cydney
@lucyd-cydney
13 years ago
11 posts

well last thursday night me and my now ex got into a really bad fight. i was blackout drunk for alot of it, but he did break all my hula hoops and my laptop and also choked me at one point of the night. i'm starting to think he may have grabbed that section of my hair and ripped it since there is two right next to eachother and nowhere else. kinda personal to go into on a message board but i'm gonna decide this is probably what happened and i just didn't notice it until last night...

i hope my hair isn't just falling off anyway! lol. its kind of connected into the roots of 2 other dreads, and so is the other one, i'm just gonna let them grow into those dreads. my friend adrian said it wasn't even noticeable when you looked at that part of my head. when i touch it though it really does feel like i'm missing a patch of hair

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yikes well dont worry ppl get pretty personal here all the time u are in a safe place

i hope hes permenantly an ex and you got a restraining order

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form