Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hard-Water Baking Soda Lemon Juice Experiment. Nailed It

Cameron Zion
@cameron-zion
13 years ago
45 posts

I ordered some of the new dreadlock shampoo bars and am looking forward to seeing how they work. I was planning on not washing my hair again until they got here but was just feeling kinda gnarly this morning. So I decided to try adding lemon juice to the baking soda mix and boil the water to make sure everything was dissolved. So mixed into a 1 gallon tea-pitcher was a full cup of BS, 15 drops of Tea-tree Oil, 2-3 drops of Lemon Juice and 1 pot of boiling water. After adding the boiling water I filled the rest with cold water and made sure all the clumps were mixed up. After the usual pour and soak I did an ACV rinse and 5-6 hours later my hair is dry and actually soft and clean. Before when I used a BS rinse my scalp would feel really good but my hair would be kind of sticky from the hard-water. Worked for me might work for you. A bit time consuming but if you have the time to take care of yourself what better way can you spend it. Shampoo bars are a definite if you travel a lot. TSA won't make you throw away your shampoo if you forget it's in your carry on :) Hope everyone is doing well. Accepting their hair for what it is and feeling more relaxed instead of stressed out by your dread journey. Non-conformist usually get upset at their non-conformistlocks haha. Let it go, live and let be. Many blessings your way. More love - Cam

updated by @cameron-zion: 02/14/15 10:25:45AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i dunno if boiling wsas nesacary but i kinda thiught the lemon would do the trick and i think its alkasline not hard water that causes the issuestho it can be both hard and alkaline at the same time

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Cameron Zion
@cameron-zion
13 years ago
45 posts

Boiling probably isn't necessary just wanted to cover all the bases so people couldn't continue to blame the Baking Soda itself. Thanks for the tip SE. This site has saved a lot of people's time, money and dreads.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Please don't continue to use the lemon juice, it is very damaging to hair over time. If you boiled the water and fully dissolved the BS then that is why you don't feel any residue. You also have to understand that by using the lemon and then an ACV rinse, you used double the acid. Yes, ACV is acidic...but not of a corrosive nature like lemon. I have told everyone until I am blue in the face, to please stay away from lemon...even in small amounts. I am glad that you are enjoying the dread bars too :) Hope you are happy on the road. Much love and blessings.

Cameron Zion
@cameron-zion
13 years ago
45 posts

Haven't gotten the bars yet. Still figuring out what's going on with the road. Life a limbo. What about Lemon clarifying shampoos? I'm fully aware that the majority of products marketing to us are not healthy and destructive. Just curious.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Any product that contains actual lemon, versus lemon "essence" or lemon oil for fragrance is a problem. You see, it is also the fact that as we do not trim our hair and we tend to use these non-residue or clarifying shampoos full time, instead of periodically that is a very big problem. Most people use a clarifying to remove buildup as needed, usually when the hair seems limp, "heavy" or coated...even excessively oily. Dreadies never have a chance to build up these problems after dreading for awhile, because they have usually been going with a non-rsidue wash (unless of coarse they are uninformed!) and their hair is stripped down. If you keep pulling more and more off of the hair, there is nothing left! All damage on hair is cumulative. So, something that seemed initially to be helpful or work like magic, can turn and become your worst nghtmare...causing tremendous damage. Marketed products that contain citrus, like grapefruit or orange are very helpful to hair...but they are monitered very carefully and buffered for safety. :)

Cameron Zion
@cameron-zion
13 years ago
45 posts

Awesome thank you :) For everyone's sake the hope the new bars work well haha

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

panterra u know ive been being harrassed on youtube for 6 months now by that crazy chick just cause i dared to tell her it was not smart to pour large quantities of lemon juice in her hair and leave it there for days at a time?

Panterra Caraway said:

Any product that contains actual lemon, versus lemon "essence" or lemon oil for fragrance is a problem. You see, it is also the fact that as we do not trim our hair and we tend to use these non-residue or clarifying shampoos full time, instead of periodically that is a very big problem. Most people use a clarifying to remove buildup as needed, usually when the hair seems limp, "heavy" or coated...even excessively oily. Dreadies never have a chance to build up these problems after dreading for awhile, because they have usually been going with a non-rsidue wash (unless of coarse they are uninformed!) and their hair is stripped down. If you keep pulling more and more off of the hair, there is nothing left! All damage on hair is cumulative. So, something that seemed initially to be helpful or work like magic, can turn and become your worst nghtmare...causing tremendous damage. Marketed products that contain citrus, like grapefruit or orange are very helpful to hair...but they are monitered very carefully and buffered for safety. :)

--
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

No SE, I didn't realize that she went off because of that! I knew you had a crazy gal giving you grief, but that is the reason?!!! Wow! That sucks. People should be more grateful and stop and think of what is being conveyed to them. I have never understood the defensiveness some people have...most especially the newbies. You try to save people heartache and they turn on you. That is very sad...I am sorry to hear that. You don't deserve that at all.

soaring eagle said:

panterra u know ive been being harrassed on youtube for 6 months now by that crazy chick just cause i dared to tell her it was not smart to pour large quantities of lemon juice in her hair and leave it there for days at a time?

Panterra Caraway said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea and 6 months later still refuses to stop

psycho

but anyway u should do a full write up on lemon juice

Panterra Caraway said:

No SE, I didn't realize that she went off because of that! I knew you had a crazy gal giving you grief, but that is the reason?!!! Wow! That sucks. People should be more grateful and stop and think of what is being conveyed to them. I have never understood the defensiveness some people have...most especially the newbies. You try to save people heartache and they turn on you. That is very sad...I am sorry to hear that. You don't deserve that at all.

soaring eagle said:

Panterra Caraway said:

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form