Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hi new - need some advive please

mel2
@mel2
13 years ago
21 posts

hi - i've just joined the site although i've been reading for a while! my dreads are about a year old - crochet hooked in but now mainly left alone. I wash twice a week in bs with essential oils and then an acv rinse - works great. However a friend recommended i tie them back when they were wet - it seemed to help the lock up well and i only left them up for an hour or so . have been doing this for a few months and now begining to question the wisdom of it!! my dreads have loads of kinks and loops and i'm finding white residue in the bumps and at the ends - i presume its bs build up and wondering if its 'cause they're tied up when wet? anyone else get bs build up? obiously i'm going to stop tying them for a while and see if that helps but does anyone have any idea how i can get rid of the white build up?

cheers mel x

updated by @mel2: 02/14/15 10:48:06AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

most likely its mold

u never tie dreads up when damp the air cant circulate and even 10 minuttes is enough to cause mold

wet them themn smell them any wet dodg smell?

if its mold

3/4 cup white vinager 30-50 drops lavender oil 1/4 cup water

pour on

leave on

24 hoirs later wash

repeat as needed u can also make a very strong thyme tea and spray on between washings leave on

sun dry whenever you can sun kills mi[old

if thats not enough neem seed oil will kill everything

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
mel2
@mel2
13 years ago
21 posts

thanks for the reply - mould was my first thought but i stopped using bs for 3 or 4 washes and it went away,came back when i started using it again - also its on the tips , as if i haven't washed the bs out properly and its dripped to ends as they are drying. no smell at all either. i will most certainly stop tying them back though :) and i will do the vinegar and lavender thing tomorrow as it sounds like a good deep cleanse for whatever the white stuff is!

cheers

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm more likely dead skin bs turns dead skin into a paste that might not be totaly removed if the bs isnt strong enough or theyre not rinsed well enough

bs itself turns to gasses so evaporates

but yur scalp can have a fair ammount of dead dry skin removed that kinda fluffs up uinto that paste when its removed

bs exfoliates thats why its used as a facial sometimes removing the dead skin leaving a fresh healthy layer exposed on a calp thats got dandruff that can seem to be alot

--
mel2
@mel2
13 years ago
21 posts

i hope it is something like that - don't fancy mould at all :( specially as sunshine is a thing of the past in northern england for at least 6 months!! its great to have somewhere to ask - thanks for the advice x

Hans Miniar Jónsson
@hans-miniar-jnsson
13 years ago
74 posts

Either way, sounds like "more patience, more rinsing" in the shower might help. ;)

mel2
@mel2
13 years ago
21 posts

yeah - just been rinsing by dunking in a bowl of water and acv - going to try the shower i think, when my dreads were new the shower seemed to make them very fluffy at the roots but rather that than mould and white gunk! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

your rinsing in acv without erinsing out the bs 1st?

they chemicaly react and cause heat and foam and a c ompletely different chemicals creatted

u want to thouroughly rinse the bs b4 u do acv

and a high pressure massage showerhead will help in rinsing well

--
mel2
@mel2
13 years ago
21 posts

ahhh - yes, not been rinsing bs out, sometimes it does go foamy. explains a lot! thanks :)

mel2
@mel2
13 years ago
21 posts

soaring eagle said:

most likely its mold

u never tie dreads up when damp the air cant circulate and even 10 minuttes is enough to cause mold

wet them themn smell them any wet dodg smell?

if its mold

3/4 cup white vinager 30-50 drops lavender oil 1/4 cup water

pour on

leave on

24 hoirs later wash

repeat as needed u can also make a very strong thyme tea and spray on between washings leave on

sun dry whenever you can sun kills mi[old

if thats not enough neem seed oil will kill everything

how would i go about need seed oil onto my dreads if needed ? the neem oil i have is solid at room temperature - even if melted it i hot water to get it on it would solidify in my hair when it cools?

cheers

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form