Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Growth Problem. HELP PLEASE!

XYZ123
@xyz123
13 years ago
29 posts

Hi! I've been growing my dreads for about, 9 months now (got them mid December). I used the Twist & Rip method, and when I first got them dreaded, they were pretty close to my chin in length, a little thicker too. I know that dreads get smaller in actual size & length because that's how they form, but like I said, it's been about 9 months now, & they're shorter than when I first got them, and have not been growing at all. For the first three months or so, I wore a wool beanie to sleep so it could aid in the locking process and since then I haven't really worn it to sleep.For the first five months I washed my hair about, once a week, but I now currently wash it once every 3 -4 days. The shampoo I use is an Anti-Residue Shampoo by Neutrogena, and I use no locking products in my hair. So I was wondering, why my hair hasn't been growing at all, and how I can fix this problem? By any means. All suggestions are welcome.

updated by @xyz123: 01/13/15 09:10:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wait

your still in the shrinking stage and will be for a few nmore months then they grow usualy round 13 months they begin to grow

nothing to fix that time wont fix

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Hair always grows, it never stops...but as the hair is actively dreading, it is also constantly shrinking. When it finishes dreading, it will also stop shrinking. My hair was about 6 in. long when I started 15 mos. ago. Now, the hair that is still not all the way dreaded is to the middle of my back...the hair that is dreaded is at about my chin, which is about where it started (maybe even a bit shorter). So, you see, it is growing...but also shrinking about as much as it grows. That's just how it works :)

XYZ123
@xyz123
13 years ago
29 posts

Yeah but see, I knowsomeone that had shorter dreads than I, last year (October?), and their dreads are at least 12 - 13 inches long, double my length. & my father also had dreads, but his hair was more coarse than mine, & I have better hair than him, in which my hair should grow faster than his. He also used Beeswax, I don't use anything at all. So I was thinking is there something I should use in my hair or what?I know it is a patient process but I have yet to see any results as of yet. Kinda disappointing.

Panterra Caraway said:

Hair always grows, it never stops...but as the hair is actively dreading, it is also constantly shrinking. When it finishes dreading, it will also stop shrinking. My hair was about 6 in. long when I started 15 mos. ago. Now, the hair that is still not all the way dreaded is to the middle of my back...the hair that is dreaded is at about my chin, which is about where it started (maybe even a bit shorter). So, you see, it is growing...but also shrinking about as much as it grows. That's just how it works :)

FoxPaw
@foxpaw
13 years ago
114 posts
Like soaring eagle said.. just wait time will of course help. You could always purchase the herbal supplement Biotin. Its healthy for hair skin & nails. Patience is a virtue.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Biotin wouldn't hurt, as it aids in hair health...it just won't make it grow any faster...good suggestion FoxPaw! I have been a licensed hairdresser for 31 years and I am certain of the information I relayed to you. The dreading process requires patience...unless you have an auto-immune illness, suffer from sickness that requires heavy does of medication or some other unusual circumstance...your hair is growing. Everyone grows at their own rate, true that, but you should never compare your hair with someone else (even one who is related). The area responsible for hair growth is the follicle, which is inside your scalp...so, no substance, unless ingested will change that process (for better or worst).

FoxPaw said:

Like soaring eagle said.. just wait time will of course help. You could always purchase the herbal supplement Biotin. Its healthy for hair skin & nails. Patience is a virtue.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form