Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

In need of a hair cut..

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

To make a long story short, my hair just stops growing after so long. I dye it, it grows only an inch, then takes forever to grow after that. Same goes for if I cut it. Since I still have baby dreads how would I go about getting just a trim? I had layers in my hair before dreading, but they were pretty much almost caught up with the rest.

Anyways, any advice on how to trim baby dreads. I'm about....3 months in and mine are pretty locked together. None of mine are rounded at the tips (adding that just for more information).

Help would be amazing! Thanks you(:

updated by @jessica-ann-hughes: 01/13/15 09:10:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

im confused u say it doesnt grow if u cut it but u want to cut it why why why woyuld u trim dreads especialy young dreads that are going to shrrink alot soon dont trim dont cut let em grow

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

Mine haven't shrunk at all. They are all still the same length (with the exception of the fat one in the back, but I love it so much). I meant if I don't cut it it takes forever to grow just a little bit, but if I cut it or dye it or anything, it grows about an inch in a month. Mine are young, but very locked together. Once my hair get's longer I don't plan on cutting my dreads at all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt cut it and they will shrink alot cutting cant make em row trims only trim off the split damaged ends from combing if your hair was tangly alot couldbe u were just shreadung the ends and trimming gave u nice healthe ends for a month or 2 b4 the combi g started mangling em too much

just a guess tho

i would dfinately not trim cause yu are goin to lose many inches soon

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

Hair never stops growing. Some people have slower growth than others, but it always grows. Growth happens from the follicle, which is located in the scalp. Trimming happens on the hair ends or length...which does not effect or influence the scalp. What some people do experience is the ends of their hair splitting and ultimately breaking off...which can make the hair appear to remain the same length because it is breaking from the bottom as it lengthens from the top. If your hair hasn't shrunk, I suspect it isn't as firmly locked as much as you think. In three months, your hair is still very immature. I thought that I was pretty locked up too after my hair finally started knotting...but, it wasn't until the last 3 mos. that it really began to shrink up. My hair is now about half the length! I am at 15 mos. I see no benefit from trimming your hair and I agree with SE that it will only cause problems for you in the end. Hang in there and let your hair do its thing. Much love <3

Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts

Thanks guys(:

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

You are welcome sweetie :) <3

Jessica Ann Hughes said:

Thanks guys(: