Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Not one to have questions, but seriously having a scalp EMERGENCY

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

I have baking soda (i hope) literally caked in my scalp, i just noticed it, now let me tell you, i am i FREAKKK!!!! when it comes to my hair, i don't like nasty shit in my scalp, hair NOTHING, and it's just caked in, i'm freaking out, someone pleasee help me, it's 12:30 AM and me and my fiance are scrubbing my scalp under the high pressure sink, and it just never seems to end, i'm scratching it out of my scalp so hard, i feel like my head is going to bleed

updated by @nichole-currier: 02/14/15 08:08:41AM
Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

i use 1/4 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water, with 3 drops peppermint oil, 30 drops lavender, and 15 drops rosemary

Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
Take a butter knife to it and scrape it off. I'M KIDDING. If you have a jet setting on your shower head try going at it for a while with that. Use your nails to scrub at it too. Good luck sister!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

could be a build up of scalp oils mixed with the bs. if you have hard water than its most likely the culprit. it might be a good idea to do a washing with dish soap or some kind of clarifying shampoo to remove all the residue on your scalp then when you do your bs washes use distilled water so it will be sure to disolve completely. also it sounds like your using a lot of essential oils. you might want to do less to avoid build up again.

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

Hahahaha that was my next move, after that, it was shaving my head

Torie Shea said:

Take a butter knife to it and scrape it off. I'M KIDDING. If you have a jet setting on your shower head try going at it for a while with that. Use your nails to scrub at it too. Good luck sister!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i use way more oils i think its dry skin and oilds tho if u have hard water thats probly the issue

do u do accv after?

if your not doing acv then your probly getting a hell of alot of dry skin buildup

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

We have 'normal' water here, soft? not sure what it's called lol, and yeah, i know i do use alot of oils, but like i said i'm a feak when it comes to my hair, and afraid of grossness, and wet dog smelling dreads lol, my fiance hates my dreads as it is.."dislikes" my dreads.. i wouldn't even know what clarifying shampoo to use, but i think i'm going to look into that garnier i think it is?? I don't know i seen a post about it, and thank you!

Heather said:

could be a build up of scalp oils mixed with the bs. if you have hard water than its most likely the culprit. it might be a good idea to do a washing with dish soap or some kind of clarifying shampoo to remove all the residue on your scalp then when you do your bs washes use distilled water so it will be sure to disolve completely. also it sounds like your using a lot of essential oils. you might want to do less to avoid build up again.

joyful.d
@joyfuld
13 years ago
9 posts

See if you can find Dr. Bronner's Miracle Soap. It's natural and not prone to residue. Most shampoos will leave residue. As Heather mentioned, you could also try dish soap. See if you can find plain (unscented) blue Dawn dish soap and use just a few drops in some tolerably hot water at a time. SE mentioned ACV rinses which are definitely key to removing build up. Maybe try some highly diluted soap followed by the ACV rinse.

FWIW, a year ago when I started mine I was using WAY too much bs in my washes and was ending up with little itchy scabs on my scalp (yuck! ouch!). I drastically reduced the amount of bs in every wash and the problem went away. It's all about balance, really: you want just enough bs to scour the scalp of excess dirt and oil, just enough ACV to rid the hair of excess greasiness and just enough oils to keep everything soft and moisturized. Once you find the right balance for your skin, you will have one very happy head! Much luck to you. :)

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

No i don't use ACV yet, my babies are still under a month old, i have oily italian hair, so dry scalp is never an issue for me lol

soaring eagle said:

i use way more oils i think its dry skin and oilds tho if u have hard water thats probly the issue

do u do accv after?

if your not doing acv then your probly getting a hell of alot of dry skin buildup

Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

Thank you so much, and yeah, it was brought to my attention last night by my fiance, that my "gallon pitcher" was a 2 quart pitcher, lol i felt so stupid :( so in my wash last night i split half in a clean apple juice 2 qt container, and half in the pitcher then filled both with water, lol, i think that could have been the problem i'll do an ACV rinse, see what that does, and hope for the best :) thank you again everyone, you should have seen me last night, i was a WRECK lol

joyful.d said:

See if you can find Dr. Bronner's Miracle Soap. It's natural and not prone to residue. Most shampoos will leave residue. As Heather mentioned, you could also try dish soap. See if you can find plain (unscented) blue Dawn dish soap and use just a few drops in some tolerably hot water at a time. SE mentioned ACV rinses which are definitely key to removing build up. Maybe try some highly diluted soap followed by the ACV rinse.

FWIW, a year ago when I started mine I was using WAY too much bs in my washes and was ending up with little itchy scabs on my scalp (yuck! ouch!). I drastically reduced the amount of bs in every wash and the problem went away. It's all about balance, really: you want just enough bs to scour the scalp of excess dirt and oil, just enough ACV to rid the hair of excess greasiness and just enough oils to keep everything soft and moisturized. Once you find the right balance for your skin, you will have one very happy head! Much luck to you. :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form