Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Almost a year...but with some iffys

Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
13 years ago
45 posts

Lately, it seems that my dreads have been moving backwards more than forwards. And although I understand that this is a part of dreading, to be totally honest, lately I just really havent been happy with how they look.

Its hard for me to say, because I really love them for what they are and what they have taught me, but I just dont really like how they look, which as lame as it sounds, its pretty important to me how they look. I could say that its not about the look, its about the essence, which is of course party true, but how they look is a big part.I guess everyone in the beginning starts off wanting those perfect dreads, but you learn as you go along that its not about them being the "perfect" you want. You learn to accept them for what they are.

So to get to the point and spare you the philosophical rant Im about to go on, I was thinking about maybe cutting them. No, not chopping them off, but rather "trimming" and shortening the length of them. The big reason that contributes to me not liking the look, is theyre very messy. Theyre not defined, and all the loose hair everywhere just makes them look very disorganized and messy. Which I havent minded so much up until now. Im starting college and I would like to have a somewhat "nice" look to my head, while still keeping the dreads. And Id be lying if I said that Im not getting a little impatient. I rarley wear them down anymore because of how they look, and usually have them tied back or in a tam. And Ive had my fare share of people telling me theyre nice, as well as the opposite, and bless those who say theyre nice, but "nice" for me, has to start with me. If I dont think theyre nice, then its hard to listen to other people. Where as If I think theyre nice, nobody else really matters.

Is it a bad idea to trim them? I feel like if i shorten them to around where the dread itself is maturley and naturally knotted and get rid of the loose hair at the bottom, it will help spruce them up a bit, which for most is about halfway down from the scalp. I never got to expereince the energy of short dreads because they were backcombed long, so I would also like to cut them for that reason. As well as trimming them I feel would give me a new connection to them, as well as changing things up a bit to get a fresh energy.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks for reading

One Love

updated by @johnny-barnas: 01/13/15 09:08:25PM
Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
....when I was reading your post I was like okay maybe....but then I looked at the pictures and was thinking.g to myself, don't cut them! I suggest wearing them down more often. Maybe palm rolling if you want to "shape them up"? Idk...dreads are naturally messy. Honestly, keep them how they are for school, then decide in a few months.hmmmm
Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
Plus, if you keep them you'll be a babe magnet, lol. Trust me and you'll see ; )
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

absolutely agree b4 ui saw the pics i knew u shouldnt cut but should wear em down much more wearing em up is causing the messiness and they are pretty thick so that kinda adds to it if u cut they wuill be short n thick n messy they just need to be down much more is all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Johnny Barnas
@johnny-barnas
13 years ago
45 posts

you would think that after a year id learn that when you get into the OHMYGODOHMYGOD freak out, your judgment is never clear. I didnt even think of the thickness relative to length, so trimming them would probably actually make them look worse. Glad I have you guys to talk to.

I did wash them this morning, and its a very rainy humid day, so that definatly added to the messyness.

I think ill maybe roll a bit of aloe into them to help shape them a bit, because this one on my left side has a massive kink in it. Plus even if it doesnt do much, i think the placebo effect of me thinking that its gonna help tighten them up will at least calm my brain.

Plus my dreads are screaming for the ocean. I havent been to the beach in ages and im dying to go, so once I get out there that will help out too.

Torie Shea
@torie-shea
13 years ago
52 posts
There you go. You are lucky to have a huge ocean of salt water by you....all I can do is add salt to water and tah da! SALT WATER! Good luck, but I don't really think you need it...I'm sure you'll be fine.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form