Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Failed dread attempt with DreadheadHQ

Vinny2
@vinny2
13 years ago
4 posts

A couple years ago I finally made the decision to dread. Being excited, I googled "how to dread hair" and was linked to DHHQ. Had me sold within minutes. Busted out my credit card and ordered a dread starter kit along with some shampoo and other accessories. A week later it arrived and I put my friends to work backcombing. It took around 6 hours or so and by the end they looked great! All were mostly tight and I thought I was done. A couple days later I washed my hair and everything fell apart from there. The instant dreadlocks gave me a false sense of security and after the first wash, they looked horrible. I was determined to bring them back so I jumped back on DHHQ and got me some more stuff. Loose hair tool, lock peppa, whatever.. I don't remember exactly but there was a good amount of money spent on useless products. I also started to get a really bad dandruff problem. A year later, there was definate progress but I noticed the dreads starting to thin. I remember trying to "lock" up a dread root and the whole dread came off in my fingers. No pain.. No warning. Over the course of the next couple months, the hair was really showing its stress and I was waking up to dreads on my pillow. So I just cut them off and shaved my head completely. Now its been about 16 months since then and I havent touched my hair except to wash it. The few dreads I have now are so much tighter and stronger and no flakes! I really wish I dreaded them naturally initially but whatever, its all in the past. So what do I think about dread products?

What dread products? :)

updated by @vinny2: 01/13/15 09:07:58PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dreadheadhq is a colosal failure except as rippoff artists

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mary
@mary
13 years ago
140 posts

Oh my gosh that sounds horrifying. You should contact the site and tell those people that, maybe you can get a refund. And if that does not work then spread the word. To be honest if i were to use "products" (lock gel) I would not waste more than 4 dollars at the local beauty store(Vitamin store is too far for aloe gel). I can only imagine the stories others have to say. At least you learned a lesson: You can not get dreadlocks from a box.

Tara C
@tara-c
13 years ago
644 posts

A year and no real progress...wow. I think that says it all about how their products give you perfect-looking "dreadlocks", but it only being about appearances. I mean, I started mine just over a week ago (backcombing), since then I've left them and I can already feel a difference. Natural is definitely better: not just healthier, but cheaper, less stressful and a lot less time-consuming

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

thats nothing we had 1 girl with 5 year old dreads the 1st year she waxed 1/4 as much as recomended

then stopped

5 years later the bottom 1/4 of her dreads were still just glued together and never dreaded at all after 5 years ..she removed the wax they fell apart then finaly dreaded right back up

in featured discussions theres a discussion called "my dreads are waning because of waxing)

5 years without dreading that tells u what wax really does..prevents dreading

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form