Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Where to go from here?

Kyle Odett
@kyle-odett
13 years ago
2 posts

Hello everyone, My name's Kyle, and I'm new to the community here at dreadlocksite. I know a post at the "Introduce Yourself" forum would have been more appropriate but I'm having a bit of difficulty starting off my dreads.
I think the problem lies in my hair type, and or ethnicity. I'm about 1/5 Native American, and the rest Caucasian. I have Really long straight hair (Not that I comb it.) and don't think I'll be able to get it start the dreading process.

I've only tried two methods, First being Twist and Rip, which did not work very well at all for me. And second came the backcombing which i tried to stay away from, but it had the most success. One thing I did notice is that the backcombing only worked if I had washed my hair with shampoo that day, the day afterwards I had little success. I know all of this most likely has to do with my oily hair. I'm on day three right now of not washing it, and it's really kinda gross to touch. Does this all have to do with genetics? Is it a medical condition? I'm very active every day in the summer, and always come home covered in sweat.
I just went and had a sea salt rinse and that really didn't have any effect on it.

I don't know what to really do now. I'm kinda stuck. Any suggestions, tips, anything! I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. =]

updated by @kyle-odett: 01/13/15 09:05:25PM
Flyin Star
@flyin-star
13 years ago
3 posts
i would use Baking Soda to wash it it might help with the oils! i had a friend that would put baby powder at her roots to absorb the oils that might work with you too! maybe get a friend to help you do acouple of the methods for you... sometimes its just hard to do it yourself! every type of hair will dread it just takes time! i hope you find something so you can enjoy your journey of dreadies! im no expert but i hope i was some help
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

yea id definatly do the baking sioda with sea saly maybe add thyme

and give it a couple weeks to start getting less oily once its less oily u should be able to just let it dread or tnr

but the oil profductions your issue

trty this also

wash witrh hot water to remove oils better but then finnish with a freeeezing cold rinse to seal up pores so u produce less oils

dont do the acv rinse the acidity altho removes oils also makes u produce moee

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Kyle Odett
@kyle-odett
13 years ago
2 posts
Thanks guys very much. I just went and soaked my hair using a baking soda sea salt mix, and rinsed it out in the shower. My hair is still a little greasy, so I think I'll use more baking soda next wash. But for the most part It's clean.
Thanks again. =]
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form