Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

8 weeks into T&R: need to make them thicker?

Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts
I'm just about 8 weeks into tnr. When I first did them, I wanted them to be pretty small (I started with 93), but I'm afraid I may have made them too tiny because the only ones that have stayed in are the biggest of the bunch (less than 10).Though the bulk of them are not knotted up, those small sections I started seem to have stayed sectioned; rather than being knotted at all, they are just little sections of straight hair. My hair is super fine and straight so I was using lots of sea salt spray in between washings (washing only once or twice a week), but I've cut back.I'm wondering if I should redo the sections into larger ones, or if they really will dread naturally if I leave them alone. I know everyone on here says leave them alone and they'll eventually lock up, but has anyone on here ever experienced hair so fine and straight that it would not dread naturally? I don't want to redo the tnr if it's going to put me right back where I am again, but if there's a chance larger sections will show more progress, I'm going for it,Any advice is appreciated!
updated by @ash-t: 01/13/15 09:05:19PM
Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts
I'm on day two of my tnr's. This is my second set of dreads though. The first set were 7 1/2 weeks. I used backcombing and crochet to start them, and then went natural. I did a few tnr's on all my loose hair at the top of my head and I noticed that the thicker ones stayed together. I think it all depends on the tightness of it too. The hair that was my bangs (and still is in a way) are a lot smaller than the res of them, but they are a little tight in the middle. I'm hoping the stay together. They've already been through one wash and have stayed, so I'm hopeful(: Maybe put some beads on them or criss-cross wrap them with hemp or string. Hope this helps(:
Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts
I've got beads on a couple, but not many because I figured keeping them free would help them take up the loose hairs. I was washing more at first because my hair was super oily until a couple weeks of skipping more washes. I feel like I'm thinking about my hair way more than I should be here, the whole point of dreads was to not worry about them, but I just worry that my hair might be too fine/straight to lock up without more help.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it is only 8 weeks

how longs it?

im sure it will dread up but tnr'ing twice as thick will help too

its up to u

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts
Here's what it looks like now. I'm willing to wait for progress, but I just don't have a good feeling about them right now, they are definitely sectioned, but super smooth. If I can help them along with more tnr, I want to, but not if it's a long-term setback.
updated by @ash-t: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

are u doing sea salt?

theyre progressing

its up to uy doing thicker tnr will definately give u a good start but ya already got a good start on more natural so

i dunno

flip a coin

do 1 or 2 tbnr every 2 weelks see what the resat does?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ash T
@ash-t
13 years ago
25 posts

I do sea salt spray a couple days a week. I think I'll take your advice and just do a couple of tnr, see how the rest do on their own.

Thank you!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form