Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Crocheting hairs back into the dread?

Joel
@joel
13 years ago
4 posts

Hey everyone, I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of crocheting my loose hairs back into the dread. The thing is I have a ton of hair that has fallen out of my locks, they're only 2 months old so I know that's normal but I want to look as "presentable" as possible if I get an interview soon or something like that. Also in some areas so much hair has fallen out (especially around my neck with all the short hairs) I could actually make whole new dreads, I guess I'm trying to say it seems like a lot more is falling out than normal in this one particular area, at least more then I'm comfortable with. Anyway, a friend has offered to help me crochet all the free hairs back in the locks but I'm having some second thoughts because of all the bad things I've read about crocheting.

So I have a few questions. I know hair is going to continue to come loose from the dread, that's fine but is it likely that hair is going to continue to fall out completely at the amount that it has, will it be a total waste of time? Another thing I'm concerned about is becoming dependent on it, I am only going to do it once anyway but I have read it will break a lot of hairs and make a lot of fuzz. Right now I already have a ton of frizz so it seems like this would be the perfect time to crochet, over time will the frizz I create go down as the locks mature? They are still mostly loose "dreads" some are tightening up at the roots really nicely though but I'm sure the damage caused by the hook will heal up in no time right? I was also just reading this thread about wrapping the dread with yarn, does anyone know you you wrap the free hairs with the lock if they will get sucked in or just stay there because there is little movement?

Ha I feel like this is kind of a lot of stuff for someone to answer. I'll appreciate any comment I get.

-Joel

updated by @joel: 02/14/15 04:13:28PM
Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
I did crocheting once to my dreads when they were younger and it took forever to do. If you go to an interview are you going to pull your hair back? Maybe you could use some bobby pins to kinda pull the loose hairs back. That's what I did for mine. :)
Joel
@joel
13 years ago
4 posts

Iheard that it takes a long time from the person that offered to help me, that's cool though.

I pull my hair back pretty often and it looks tidy for awhile then all the hairs start popping up, I bet some bobby pins could help a lot, I also don't want to have to put a bunch of em in either so there is that problem. I'm imagining myself with a ton of bobby pins all over my head in all sorts of different directions lol

So did the crocheting help at all in the long run, would you consider it a waste?

Tessa Smith
@tessa-smith
13 years ago
59 posts
lolwell as long as you can get some that match your hair color and if you tuck them in a bit I'm sure you won't need too many. Also I think it was a waste of time. Like the way I did it was grab a chunk of loose hair, wrap it around the needle and stick it through the dread then just do that over and over again. And they all fell out shortly after and then ones that didn't come out I don't think ever will lol which worries me in the long run.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

crochetings a horible idea if u got an interview just use some aloe vera to tame the loose hairs

but u know y do u worry bout loose hairs?

any boss who cares about your dreads will care about the dreadsa not the loose hairs!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Joel
@joel
13 years ago
4 posts

Tessa, thanks that's what I was looking for, if most of it is just going to fall out again then I probably wont go through with it.

Soaring Eagle, why is it such a bad idea this early on if all the frizz created will go down with time anyway, and besides that it might be a waste of time? ha I feel like I'm asking a stupid question but I'm still curious why else you're opposed to it.

I'm not really worried about loose hairs per se but rather that my head turns into a giant fuzzball an hour after I put it up or pat it down. It looks pretty funny sometimes, especially when they start turning in to curls poking off my head, I'm just considering my options that's all. Aloe Vera and some bobby pins are definitely on my shopping list.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

it does extreme damage and it makes them way way way too tight stiff scratchy damages it takes 6 months or longer to recover b4 they start to dread properly meanwhile they are way fuzzier then they should be most crocheters do it constantly cay=use they have to constantly repair the damage they cay=use which causes more and more and eventualy they fget so weak they break

its just never a good idea at all

its not only a waste of time but will take 6 months to recover from

--
Ferret
@ferret
13 years ago
10 posts

Ok, I maybe reading this wrong but are you crocheting your hair or just pulling loose wispy hair into your pre-existing dreads? If your just pulling it into the dread, you really shouldn't have an issue with it damaging your hair. The damaging from crocheting your hair is when the stands are pulled to tight at odd angles causing stress as the fibers naturally shift which can cause breakage.

As for the slipping out and being worthwhile, it all depends on the length of the hair you are pulling though. The longer it is the less likely it is to slip out. I have shoulder length hair and haven't had any problems pulling a few whispies back into their proper dreads.

Also I second the Aloe Vera advice.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
its not just pulling too tight thats damaging its the holes u poke in them too its just damaging no matter how u do it

--
Joel
@joel
13 years ago
4 posts
Well I meant crocheting loose hairs (ones that fell out completely mostly) into the pre-existing dread.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form