Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

back combing

Elroy
@elroy
13 years ago
22 posts

I am excited to dread my hair again but i have enough patience to wait until it gets to a good enough length after all dreads are all about time. so i have about 5 1/2 in of hair and i want my dreads to span most of my face does anyone have an idea of how much my hair will shorten after back combing so i know how long to wait before starting?

thanks all ~Elroy~

updated by @elroy: 01/13/15 09:00:23PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

why would u backcomb at al?its poor method

better to go naturar twist riaturan there will be almost no noticable shrinkaige just no growth till mature

if u tnr with 5 inches u may lose an inch and 1 more while they mature but the longer to start the more they shrink like 2 foot of hair can shrink to 6 inches but 6 inches might shrink to 5 but its a variaion thats impossible to preduict except that natural is less noticable cause its more gradual and just counteracts growth rates to produce a zero growth period

but iu would not recomend backcombing

its not as devtating as some methods but its just poor not a great method at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Elroy
@elroy
13 years ago
22 posts

thanks for the info im not sure though about the natural method how do you get you hair to start dreading and any other info on the subject i am willing to listen you def are a vetern in this field so and advice or info would be great not to much good info on the web and i just singed up to this site a few days ago and have not had much time to looks through all the threads

~Elroy~

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

natural method

combing an..the end

when you comb have you ever had a knot or tangle? that was a dread being born (and combing the abortion)

itrs called natural because that is what hair does naturaly if you stop unatural maintenance like combing and conditioning

twist n rip- next best thing to natural twist a section split into 2 parts )9unequal paerts random splits each time) pull apart that pushes knots to the roots put together split new spot pull..repeat 10 or so times b4 u retwist it repeat till done

backcomb combing the hair against the grain pries open the cuticles damaging them so they cant function right and reacte to changing conditions

this makes the hair more easily dammaged too

(further damage i mean)

they usualy fall apart and look googfy till they do

most around here woukld recomend naturalk tho we recognise not everyone will choose that so twist n rips a good alternative that doesnt do much harm if any (should be as hgentle as braiding)

--
Elroy
@elroy
13 years ago
22 posts

thanks guys the only other thing i dont get is how do you know what sections to twist and rip or if you just grab some hair and rip it back or should you try and keep it sectioned off a bit thanks again guys

~Elroy~

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

best way go natural 2 weeks let it section itself where it wants that gives u the most natural look

but also forcing sections sometimes u force hair to be 1 dread that would prefger to be 2-3 and it will try to split iotself

some s\ites say do 1 inch squares but then u get a checkerboard head and every dread like every other dread that followed that strict pattern..plus.. 1 inch is the largest you will want so if they congo your looking at huge dreads and its impossible almost to avoide all congos completely

so instread let it section with a max size of 1 inch (measured at the scalp the area the roots come from not the thickness of a baby dread that wuill get thicker) so have a mix of pencil to 1 inchsizes that blend together

--
Elroy
@elroy
13 years ago
22 posts
thanks again guys i really appreciate all the info and soaring eagle thanks for the link to the dreaducation page it was very informative!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form