Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda White Mud Problem--Starting a New Shampoo?

Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts

Hello Everyone,

As some of you know, I'm one month into neglect. I've been doing a bs + acv wash every 2 days since the start and now I'm noticing the white mud problem (residue left). I'm on my way to Whole Foods now and was wondering what shampoo I should get to wash that residue out of my scalp and KEEP the sections that have been starting to form. I'm one month in with just sectioning so I want to make sure I don't undo my progress. Any quick thoughts of what shampoo to get when I'm there? Thanks! -Marcus

Also, I think I should start scrubbing my scalp with my fingers again. Ideas? -Marcus

updated by @marcus-acosta: 01/13/15 08:57:45PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

dr bronners

the mud is skin cells bs exfoliates causing a paste of dry skin thats semi liquified all you need is a higher pressure rinse

like i use a massage shower head handheld 1 on the lmassage setting from an inch or 2 away so it blasts it all awaty if u got a weak low pressure trickle nothings gonna rinse awauy well

rinsing requires either high pressure or high volume (fill up a 5 gallin bucket and dump that over your head quickly)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i really like desert essence organics lemon tea tree shampoo. gets your scalp and hair super clean and doesn't seem to be undoing any progress i'm having. what you need to get is a plastic squeeze bottle from a kitchen supply store. kind of looks like ketchup bottle. what i do is squirt a little shampoo in the bottle then add water to the top. shake it up and then squeeze it onto your hair concentrating on the scalp. then scrub your scalp a bit with your finger tips and rinse. works great!
Marcus Acosta
@marcus-acosta
13 years ago
53 posts
Thanks for the suggestion Heather, I'm glad that shampoo is working out for you. I just ordered Prell Shampoo because someone suggested it here. Question though, the Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo contains lemon, which is a natural conditioner, I've read on here that lemon will not help the locking process, thoughts on that?
calipark
@calipark
13 years ago
54 posts
I know lemon juice can lighten your hair in the sun. But I'm not sure if that's the same. I think most non-residue shampoos can work just fine depending on hair type, if you wear wool, how well you rinse, and if you used starter methods.Most people with mature dreadlocks can condition their locks, which helps the hair bend more and knot up easier. Like, when I was using baking soda, it started to dry my hair out like hay and it wouldn't knot easier cause it was stiffer. But you need a good amount of knots to risk using something that conditions.I've also read about people using Baby Shampoo which I might switch to. I know a blonde caucasian guy here in Denver that has amazing dreads halfway down his back and all he used was Baby Shampoo. I've also heard of people using Nature's Gate, or Neutregena non-residue, but they usually had more textured hair.Good luck finding one that works for you. Baking soda works very well for causing knotting during the wash, so if you can alternate with another shampoo without getting mud, that may be optimal. I had plenty of issues with white mud and so did a good percentage of people on this forum a year ago. Minus SE and others.
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i haven't seen any softening with that shampoo. when i was a teenager i used to spray my hair with lemon juice to lighten it when i went to the beach. dried the hell out of my hair in the process so i'm not so sure of it having softening effects. i just used prell shampoo with a little bs mixed in last time i washed and i found my hair to be a bit more frizzy but not in a good way. i don't know if it was the mix of prell and bs or just the prell. i'm going to try it again without the bs next time. one thing i do like about prell is that i can go three days before i need to wash again because my scalp doesn't get oily as quickly as it does with other shampoos. i really like fantasia 100% pure tea shampoo. you can get it on amazon. its a clarifying shampoo but it doesn't leave your hair feeling like straw. just clean.

Marcus Acosta said:
Thanks for the suggestion Heather, I'm glad that shampoo is working out for you. I just ordered Prell Shampoo because someone suggested it here. Question though, the Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo contains lemon, which is a natural conditioner, I've read on here that lemon will not help the locking process, thoughts on that?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form