dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

i seem to have henna stuck in my dreads. i got a question

Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts

hey guys.

anyway, upon inspection of my dreads im noticing some green spots showing through which is leftover henna paste (i made it reeeeeally thick and pasty). today i henna'd my hair and all went great, no issues. im loving thefieryorangey red it has, curious to see how it oxidizes.

anyway, so now ive got some henna stuck in my dreads and i dont know what to do. my first instinct is to wash it out, which i did to some of the more bad spots by just spot washing that part of the dread. anyway, will washing my hair again after i wake up hinder the oxidizing process? knottysleeves told me that baking soda washes strip henna pretty quickly so keep in mind for your responses that i wont be using BS for a while. should i just wait out the few days and wash it again then? i really dont know what to do, its my first henna job. i dont mind waiting as long as i can still get it out and the extra henna doesnt gum up my dreads or keep releasing dye and do something bad to the hair. the henna spots seem to be in the thick mature areas from 0-4 inches of the roots. i noticed my flat dreads are usually the ones that show more green than others. i just dont want to do anything to hinder the binding or oxidizing process. does anybody have any experience in this or ideas of what to do?

updated by @jackal: 01/13/15 08:57:38PM
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

I have used organic henna since I was a kid (so about 15 years now) and my mom has used it for much longer so I will start out by saying that Henna will not damage your hair. It can be left in for a couple days (I've maxed out at one though) without any lasting damage, although your hair will definitely reek of henna if you don't wash it out. Since you used it, you know what henna smells like and, although I've become use to the smell and even kind of like it, I still wouldn't want to walk around in public smelling like it. Also, I've heard of instances of henna oil damaging or thinning your hair but I've never seen it or know anyone that that's happened to so there's a good chance that it's fine.

With that being said, henna is organic and everything organic rots. Please thoroughly wash out the henna as soon as possible, because the LAST thing you want is henna getting trapped in your dreads. the longer you leave it in the more likely hood that hair will dread around it and make it that much more difficult to wash out. You don't want rotting henna in your dreads.Think of henna being left in your dreads like residue in new dreads, or water in mature ones x10.

Wash it out, very thoroughly, then condition it if your worried about your hair drying out. But wash it out, even just using water or any residue free shampoo. Idk if bs will strip it away, I've never heard of that, but a simple shampoo will do the trick.

Of course, if you used one of those henna from the box, not completely organic type things you can disregard everything I just said because Idk shit about those.

Jackal
@jackal
13 years ago
132 posts
thanks guys. ill go ahead and leave it in, im not worried about the smell, i rather like it. as long as it wont gunk me up im not worried lol. thanks for all of your input. i just uploaded a pic to my photos if anyone is interested in seeing the results lol.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form