dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Henna & Dreadlocks

Bee
@bee
13 years ago
1 posts

Greetings,

I have been thinking of using Henna on my locks. About 4 yrs ago I had my locks treated with regular hair dye. My locks broke. Devastated from the ordeal I have been reluctant to use anything on them. My friend uses Henna on her locks but they are no where near as old as mine....

I have used Henna for body art but not hair...I imagine there is a lot left inside the locks.

Does anyone know anything about long term effects of Henna???????

updated by @bee: 01/13/15 08:54:00PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont and i think its generaly safrer but ive also seen cases of ppl having severe problems but i do think its safer then dye for the dreeads

im no expert tho i have never risked using anything ion mine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
u cannot say there are absolutely no problemssome ppl do indeed have very severe skin reactions ti henna

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TarzansWifey
@tarzanswifey
13 years ago
19 posts

I have been using henna on my hair on a while now and Knottysleeves got it absolutely right. Henna is great for your hair, making the individual strands thicker and stronger because the karotin in henna binds to them. No ill effects can come from henna as long as it is 100% pure (body art quality). The only instance where it can do any harm is if someone has an allergy. There is a severe allergy to henna that is found among people of a certain descent (i forgot the details) and it is an extremely rare condition. If i remember correctly its more prevalent in males and harmful to young children if they have the allergy. The info is on the website Knotty linked for you. That is where i got my henna from actually. They have a certain type of henna (on the site) that is finely milled, so it is "good for dreadlocks", but i would have to imagine alot would get trapped inside still. Oh and its GREAT for you scalp and will even kill fungus on the skin. When i was using henna my scalp never felt better and no flakes for a while, so thats a nice bonus.

Long term effects of henna are thick, strong, shiny hair. The hair is also protected from uv sun rays so its like having permanent sun screen on your hair. Henna is permanent so its big commitment. Dont count on it fading, and you cant bleach over it (the bleach will lift the color from your hair, but wont touch the henna, leaving it a light orangy color at lightest) You can use regular hair dyes over henna.

Sounds like your hair can benefit alot from henna because it will make it stronger, but take into account the cons. Also be careful because you really have to glob it on, which adds quite a bit of weight to your head. If your locks are weak make sure to take some of the weight off them somehow while the henna is in.

If you have a question feel free to ask me =)

There is a great forum on that site thats worth checking out and the lovely ladies there really know their stuff!

cindasana
@cindasana
11 years ago
1 posts

I can't comment as to how it affects dreads staying dreaded, but I do know that body art quality henna is EXCELLENT for your hair! It actually coats & protects the hair shaft, making it stronger. I love henna! Lots of good info on henna for hair at the Henna Tribe, Henna Sooq and (I believe) Henna For Hair websites. Good luck! :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form