Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

new here!

Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts

Hey everyone! I came across this site awhile ago...when I was still coming to the decision to dread. I started about 6 months ago (honestly) when I started moving away from traditional shampoos. I live in a REALLY rural area up in Northeast Minnesota...The lake I live on is one of the entry ways to the boundary waters. We pull and treat our own water, and so anything we do ourselves to eliminate the waste going in is only preserving our water supply. I started using Dr. Bronners for my body and sometimes my hair, and switched to Baking Soda/ACV rinse.

After the adjustment period in doing this, I noticed that my hair was clinging together on its own. I didn't feel like doing olive oil treatments on it every few days to keep it smooth, so I slowly eased into it. Eventually I tired of fighting through it with a comb and brush and just started letting it do it's thing. It wasn't until like a month ago I consciously startedseparating the clumping hair into sections. I did do some light back combing at first just to sort of make everything look neater (I spend most of my time in the winter tucked up under a wool hat anyway) but itisn'ta regular part of my routine, and after reading some of the experiences on here with back combing I wouldn't classify what I did as strenuous either.

They still look like baby dreads...allwispyon the ends and pretty much free form...some thick, some really thin....Not dreaded all the way to the scalp...But I actually love the way it looks. It feels good to wear. I've never been one to spend extra money I don't have on products I don't need...so wax neverenteredmy brain .I really didn't do much research on dreads before mine just kind of...happened.

The "dreads" themselves are about 1 month old, but the process has been happening for about 6 months now. I promise i'll take pictures soon...Just wanted to introduce myself.

updated by @stephanie-krespach: 01/13/15 08:53:42PM
Macrina
@macrina
13 years ago
41 posts
Welcome! Sounds like your dread journey has been blissfully peaceful for you! I look forward to pics!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i love these stories where they just sorta grow out of yoiur lifestyle as it should be

beautiful

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
Thanks guys. I will get some better pictures when I have the energy and they decide to behave themselves. I tried to take a few tonight (the profile picture being the only one where i'm not making a funny face and you can kind of see some of the hair progress)...Tonight, they don't feel like being co-operative, they are kind of sticking all over the place and I really don't feel like fighting with them. I'm almost to my next wash day, and that should help. Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
if theyre not misbehaving theyre not dreading

--
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
Thats what i'm gathering. I'm just throwing them up in a Tam and continuing my work. It can't hurt right?

soaringeagle said:
if theyre not misbehaving theyre not dreading
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
yup pretty much just be sure to seperate if u dont want em growing together

--
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
I can handle that. I mostly just try not to touch or think about them...even when they look like unruly babies.

soaringeagle said:
yup pretty much just be sure to seperate if u dont want em growing together
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form