Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twist & rip question

Valerie Schroeder
@valerie-schroeder
13 years ago
2 posts
Okay guys, so I have wanted dreadlocks for a few years now, and I've been doing a lot of research as of late. I decided upon T&R after a failed attempt at ONE backcombing dread. It hurt waaaay too much.To the point now, haha. I did one dread using the T&R method, and I liked it a lot, it seems to be nice and tight, except for maybe an inch at the root. Should I just leave it be, or should I be using some secret to get that tightened up?My hair is about five inches long, if that helps.And please don't try to talk me into neglect. Ain't happening, haha.xoxoxVS
updated by @valerie-schroeder: 01/13/15 08:53:23PM
Kris2
@kris2
13 years ago
43 posts

your supposed to have some room at the root, as the dreads mature that length shortens, but theres always gonna be a bit so they'll never be tight and uncomfortable. And as with any method its just a kickstart, only do it once and then its a waiting game just like neglect.

So dont worry about it, its gonna be like that for a while and its supposed to.

Sancho Lopez
@sancho-lopez
13 years ago
28 posts
i just did the twist and rip method and i have to say, its pretty much a neglect method. for me anyway, after i did the T&R, the hair on the outter portions of my sections came undone and i ended up with a bunch of loose hairs everywhere. my locks were pretty nice when first finished but now i'm playing the waiting game and just letting my hair do its own thing to achieve gnarly locks. if you want a "neat" looking set of dreads from day 1, you might want to crochet, but that ruins locks, or you could use wax to keep all the hair down, but that stuff is grimey and ruins locks... from my understanding of what a dreadlock is, its neglected (intentionally uncombed) sections of hair that mat and knot together. as far as your loose root goes, let it be. your hair is going to do whatever it wants when dreaded. i've heard that having your roots a little loose is good for the dreading process. idk about any of this really. i've just done a lot of research and read a lot. i am lacking in real dread expericnce, so take this with a grain of salt.
Kris2
@kris2
13 years ago
43 posts

all methods are partially neglect, tnr, back combing, and everything else is just a kick start all dreads take the same process at one point - do nothing.

dont expect them to look good for a while, they are going to loosen and tighten and do their own thing.

Valerie Schroeder
@valerie-schroeder
13 years ago
2 posts

Thank you guys so much.

I'll most certainly be sticking around here for whenever I have another "emergency", haha.

Thanks again!! <3

VS

Chelsea LookWhatTheCatDraggedIn
@chelsea-lookwhatthecatdraggedin
13 years ago
42 posts
I had the same problemm. I'm scared they are going to grow out and I'm not going to be able to have anyone to maintain them and that they Re going to fall apart even more.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

there is only 1 dreading method..neglect all the rest do is predefine sections but all dreading does come down to neglect in the end so i dinno why your so against being talkined into going neglect when hoing neglect is what u altimteky need to fo anyways so why not start out that way too?

but yea serously the 1 inch at the roots realy had to be there and even if it wasnt there when u made the dread it sure would be within days anyway..

u see..if u put 1 single knot at the tips..that 1 knot would cause that whole section to dread u sure dont gotta knot it to the roots cause any knot in there will just cause more and more

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form