Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I'm very new to this game..

Van
@van
14 years ago
6 posts

Hi all, I'm Vanessa. Australian, 18, I have one dread - for now at least.

I've been wanting a couple of dreads for a while now and finally got one 2 days ago. I've been reading on here and I know you're all going to think "stop worrying, just let it happen" etc. but I am worrying. I've never actually known anyone with dreads and so I'm not exactly sure how they're supposed to look or feel. I know it's not going to happen overnight though - I'm not that silly.

I went to a music folk festival and they had a little place there where you could get your hair locked/dreaded... So getting all excited I wandered in and said, rather awkwardly, "hello, uh, could I just get one?" I figured most of the people in my life would scream if I got 'too many' so I decided to start off with one. Seemed logical to me. Also a lot cheaper... I thought that the woman doing my hair would explain to me how to wash my hair, what to avoid, what to do, etc. She didn't... And she also used bees wax which I thought was bad but I couldn't exactly stop her.

So here I am.
I need to wash the rest of my hair but I also need to avoid getting my baby wet... I was thinking of getting the finger of a glove and putting it around it while I shower - would this work?

I'm also worried about the wax... She didn't put a heap of it in and I'm certainly not going to put any more in myself but is there anything else I should do? Or just worry about it when the time comes?

There are a couple of loose hairs poking out here and there too... Leave those?

Is there any way I could try the twist and rip method on this one, lone dread to sort of fix it or would that just make everything worse?

I'm sorry, I must sound so naive to you all but this seemed like the right place to come.

updated by @van: 01/13/15 08:52:31PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

how did she make it and yes u shouldhave stopped her and told her she had no right charhging to do dreads if she used wax

u need to get that ouit i would start over really comb it out dewax and then twist and rip

but how did she start it?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sancho Lopez
@sancho-lopez
14 years ago
28 posts
im new to this too, but i know wax is bad. check out rip and twist vids. they helped me. also, listen to mr. soaring eagle, he knows his stuff.
Van
@van
14 years ago
6 posts

Thank you :)

She backcombed it to start off...
But I will definitely start over. I think twist and rip looks like the go for me.

Thank you again!

soaringeagle said:

how did she make it and yes u shouldhave stopped her and told her she had no right charhging to do dreads if she used wax

u need to get that ouit i would start over really comb it out dewax and then twist and rip

but how did she start it?

Van
@van
14 years ago
6 posts
Thank you!
I will :)

Sancho Lopez said:
im new to this too, but i know wax is bad. check out rip and twist vids. they helped me. also, listen to mr. soaring eagle, he knows his stuff.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

dreadings so easy it bobbles the mind that ppl pay to dread your new dreads will be amazing and not waxy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Van
@van
14 years ago
6 posts

Okay I will see how that goes :)

Thank you! I know I should've said something but I just felt she would've told me I had no idea haha :)

I'm actually quite keen to make them entirely mine too. Should be good.

Knottysleeves said:

Welcome! Since you have just a couple dreads, I'd suggest gently combing them out (should go easily) and washing well with dish soap to get the beeswax out. Once your hair is totally dry, then you can backcomb again or do twist & rip.

BTW, you paid her for a service, so you most definitely have the right to "say something" if you don't agree with what she's putting in your hair or doing to it. :-)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form