Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Strange African Dreadlock Phenomena?

Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Hey ya'll,So i dont know if this happens to anyone outside of those with african hair, but i have heard something interesting yet disconcerting. The "phenomena" is regarding how once african dreadlocks reach a certain length they become tinged with brown, instead of black. I dont know if this affects only certain people or not. It is curious though, and like i said disconcerting due to the fact that well...i dig my hair the way it is...black. Seeing pictures of certain folks with such hair (Lenny Kravitz and Whoopy) leads me to wonder even more at this occurence, though perhaps it is just a bi-racial thing.Secondly, were my hair to chameleon to that color, are there any safe methods for darkening one's locks, such as the Black Tea i have heard about on this website? Much preciated.Wish it was friday.
updated by @thundersquall: 01/13/15 08:50:43PM
Beksta
@beksta
14 years ago
22 posts
My caucasian locks were remarkably different colour from the root to tips, which all happened naturally. Roots very dark brown, and tips were considerably lighter - a few were actually blonde! I think it's just something that can happen in anyone's hair, if they're out in the sun a lot - natural bleaching. I've never tried the black tea, but rosemary is known to darken hair with regular use :)
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
This isn't some strange "phenomona"! Lol Hair just gets lighter when it isn't cut. Hair that is around for a long period without being trimmmed away will lose some pigment due to age...it is just a bit more obvious when the hair is very dark. All hair does this and it is especially obvious with dreading because dreads don't get trimmmed.If you don't like it, then color your hair...but be aware it will sustain some damage unless you go with something "natural". But also realize that the hair doing it's "phenomona" is most natural of all! :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thesun lightens hair over time if u spend alotta time in thye sun..highlighting sun bleaching whateverlemon juice can make it bleach alot moreblack tea will help some there also a dying dreads guide in the links to the right

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gene Thompson
@gene-thompson
14 years ago
29 posts
I've had my locks for about 5 years now, and I've always had dark brown almost black hair, since earlier this year Ive noticed them changing to more of a light brown color. I live in san diego california, so we get alot of sunshine here, and I've used lemon juice in my hair before, so that's probably what did it. I have heard though regardless of what ethnicity you are, over time the sun can naturally bleach your hair, although I see it more common with people of African descent.
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
And all the hair that would be falling off stays in your dread locks. So it's got a lot more time to bake in the sun lol
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form