Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Essence (Humanity) v.s Discrimination (Ego)

O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
This is something that I've always felt passionate about, and I'd love to hear your thoughts and prose on this. :)It is visible in innumerable aspects of society and life, but lets start with dreadlocks!I was raised to believe that essence and beauty was in everything, and everyone, and to celebrate it. That love and compassion and gratitude were the strongest forces in the Universe, that those feelings transcend all and draw you into the embrace of universal Oneness. That you don't have to understand everything, but to love it anyways, because EVERYTHING is an extension of yourself, that the concept of separation is an illusion. That what we see in others that we think we loathe is in fact a direct reflection of something we're not pleased with in ourselves, and when we act in anger or fear or hatred, we only harm ourselves.When i began researching dreadlocks as a child, I was delighted at how many cultures historically wore dreadlocks and for what reasons. I collected stories of Vikings, Druids, Hindu and Buddhist wise men, Asian Emperors, African, Muslim, and Rastafarian. I found dreadlocks to be a wonderful transcendent cultural expression!I also began coming across more modern ideas of dreadlocks, and I know you've all heard these: White kids with dreadlocks are dirty, or trying to be black, wash your hair you hippy, all dreadlocks are disgusting and ugly and stinky, feces, glue, wax, unclean, drug addict, pothead, blah blah blah.I also grew up in a warm family and extended family of heavily modified bodies -tattoos, piercings, scars, etc- and myself worked for years as a body modification artist. The misconceptions are vast and to be expected, i suppose, because so few people today know the full ins- and- outs and history of the culture. This can either lead to wonderful and funny conversations with people who are open- minded and wanting to learn, or horrible assumptions made and hurtfully discriminate views held.Now, I'm aware that the basis for most discrimination is fear of something you don't understand.What boggles my mind is HOW people can POSSIBLY hold such strong opinions about things that they obviously don't know the first thing about??? This applies to anything: culture, ethnicity, style of clothing, child rearing, music, mental and physical disabilities, employment, the list is endless. How can people speak SO SURELY without understanding, or without even TRYING to understand?I have the word "ciunas" tattooed on my collarbone. It's gaelic for "silence." I see it whenever I look in the mirror. It reminds me that sometimes to LISTEN is more important than to SPEAK. That it's hard to learn and absorb when you're too busy screaming to the world every thought that crosses your mind.Here I have a tiny little condensed and reworded excerpt from a particularly inspiring movie I once watched:We are born without being conscious of our identity. We are taught to recognize that which separates us, that which makes us "individuals." We forget that the essence in ME, is the essence in YOU. I am human. I recognize the humanity in me is the humanity in all.From a different part in the film:The more love that is created in the world, the weaker the illusion of separation becomes. Love without doubt, love without fear, love without condition. Love, because that is what you are made of. Love, because it is what your here to do.I would LOVE to hear your thoughts and stories!!! :)xoxox
updated by @ocallaghan: 02/14/15 07:40:21AM
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
I'm sorry, I may have mixed up my wording here, I meant to write Islam (Sufi), not Muslim. I think I've heard something of young Muslim men wearing their hair in plaits or braids, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong please) dreadlocks are considered "harem"? If anyone can elaborate/ clarify please do :)
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
Thank you so much, Maxe :)I agree, it does need to be experienced. It concerns me though when people seem to close themselves off from such experiences. There is no point to life if someone thinks they've already learned everything they need to know...And I totally lucked out with my parents, they're far from "perfect" but they're perfect for me :D Thank you for defining haram, I was looking up dreads in Muslim culture and got way confused with the terms lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i think u have done more research into dreads then most ppl so would love u try write out all u knowlike the cultural diversity of dreadlocks bi grew up in a close minded house and had my mind blown open once i leftalotta people in the world have very limmited experiencesimagine your parents are racists, your brought up on a farm in a tiny villiage and never leave that farm or townall your life experiences are based on what u hear from your racist familywithout ever knowing anyone from any other race all yoiur "understanding" comes from an extremely narrow sourseto have a wider understanding u need a wider life experience

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather B
@heather-b
14 years ago
53 posts
This is an incredible post! I really love this...informative AND inspirational!I was raised in a very religious community...I was 12 years old when I discovered that there was anything else out there besides that specific religion. I was amazed to learn that there are many different beliefs and ways of life! I'm grateful to be more experienced today... to find a belief system that fits me and feels right, less conflicting in my heart.I love that the main focus to this thread is LOVE! I truly believe that most people are good at heart and try to live to the best of there ability...based on what they know...I have found that the less I "know" the more willing I am to learn! I get to have ideas and those ideas change and grow the more open I choose to be.Thank you for this post.
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
SE Thank you for the post! Wow, that must have been a totally intense experience!!! I know I don't know you hardly at all, but you seem to me like an individual who has absolutely thrived despite that, and at least the over 2000 people here are thankful you have ;) much love! And I'll do my best to do a write up of what I know of the different historical and cultural backgrounds and post it, it may take a while, but I'll try to make it as detailed as I can.Heather thank you so much!!! I'm all blushie because you found my writing inspirational! :) Your experience sounds hugely intense too eh! Wow! It must have been the best feeling in the world, to finally find something that fit just right :D And I agree with every point you make here, I'm so very pleased to make your acquaintance lady! Much love!
sourabh thakur
@sourabh-thakur
14 years ago
83 posts
very interesting indeedi just feel thought is a real culprit here.....thought is what makes us believe we are separate...thought is always divisive and thought is always destructive. thought likes to maintain its continuity....thats all it is interested in. it does it by giving it an identity we call mind or ego. Love (in its more conventional meaning) i feel is also a product of thought....by the very assumption that we have to love (something /someone other than me) creates the division within us. There have been more killings over "love thy neighbor" than anything else. another meaning of love can be the absence of this ego.... but we are trying to get rid of that ego / mind / thought by the help of mind itself.....which will only add to its continuity. so what are we to do? sit idle? meditate? (it all seems to b born out of thought) Is there any other instrument other than thought which we can use?i don know if i have made myself clear but i would like to know wot u think....lol
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
Maxe, I'll be posting a cultural history of dreads in a couple of hours, as soon as I can sit down and put all the research together into something that reads well lol what I've found about our viking ancestors and dreadlocks is quite a bit more vague and theoretical than I'd like (apparently as a nomadic people their origins have been hard to trace and they didn't leave a ton of physical evidence behind), but the reference that did consistently keep popping up was when Caesar (Rome) conquered the Celts (British Isles?) in (correct me if I'm wrong) 30BC he's recorded as describing the Celts as having "hair like snakes." I'll dig as deep as I can, but it's a bit piecey.Sourabh, I agree with what you say about the ego here. One of the most difficult parts of our journey is overcoming the ego, and disciplining our thoughts. The ego is constantly trying to define itself, "I am, I have, I don't have, I want, Mine." The ego is a survivalist. "My money, I worked hard for it." When we give in to the ego, we lose our humanity. "We are one" becomes "I am Me."Overcoming the ego brings us back to our humanity, the "I" is what divides us and causes struggle, it demands to be fueled and recognized.If any killings occurred over loving thy neighbor, the only reason for it is that the ego didn't feel like it was fed enough by the actions of kindness. Like people who do kind things to get something back, money, worship, holding the people who received the kind act in debt to them, whatever. Love and kindness should be given unconditionally, otherwise it's just another ego-stroke.Now in the case of thought, quantum mechanics has taught us that absolutely everything is based on thought, on the presence of an observer, including our "material" world. It is the intention behind the thought that determines it's path.An experiment was conducted over water and ice formation: a group of very mentally strong people were asked to meditate for an extended period of time, focusing their thoughts towards a small container of water. They did this first with thoughts of love and beauty and harmony. Then they did it again over a separate container, focusing on hate and destructive thoughts. The water was then frozen. Under a microscope, the ice crystal formations of the loved water were symmetrical and beautiful, while the hated water's formation was haphazard and mutated.If we, as people, are made up of 75% water, can you imagine the influence a single negative thought has on us? On our world? On each other?If reality is affected by the observers, the majority feeling shapes it the strongest. If we are living in fear or anger or selfishness, our world becomes ugly. If we try and express love and acceptance and compassion whenever possible, it becomes more beautiful.What I'm trying to say is that thought is just thought, it's humanity's intention of the thought that determines what comes of it. Stroking the Ego is an intention.These are just my feelings and experiences though, please tell me what you feel?
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
The exact ancient origins of Vikings is unknown, just that they showed up in Scandanavia and spread super quick thereafter. I've pieced together what I can and I'm about to post it, though I'd hardly call it evidence, the thread makes sense to me. Please take a look at it and tell me what you think? :)
sourabh thakur
@sourabh-thakur
14 years ago
83 posts
i get what u r trying to say.....but what i m still unclear about is whose journey is it and who has to overcome the ego? if that ego is me and its exactly the same thing i m trying to get rid of ...is there any point? or can "I" get rid of it? do u see the inherent contradiction in that statement? a mind that doesnt expect anything back for its deeds takes pride in not expecting anything back and maintains itself. i am compassionate i am caring yada yada.... and if real love is absence of that me, then how can "I" love? how can i do anything? or not do anything for that matter? who is "I" anyways?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form