Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Should I shave my Hair?

Jammmeeesss(:
@jammmeeesss
14 years ago
34 posts
Hello fellow dreaders,As you might be aware I have yet to grow my dreads, As my hair is growing I started to noticed the uneveness in my hair. The past 3 yrs I have never let anyone else cut my hair, but myself. I would cut it in the shower without even looking with a comb that had blades on it. I remember especially in the beginning due to lack of practice I would end up with small bald spots or something like that (lol) but never really paid much attention since I have Really THICK hair that tends to grow fast ^_^ It would still look pretty good at the end. but now that my hair is close to 4 inches It's starting to look really uneven or way thicker in one side then the other (espeically the bangs and side burns) I'm just really worried if that would some how affect my dreads? I really dont want to have any problem with them so I'm thinking to just be on the safe side to shave it all off or have some really short military cut.any advice?P.S The way I would "cut" my hair is in tons of Layers and take off like 3 pounds of hairs lol (thin it out) not sure if that affect dreads but just letting you know :l
updated by @jammmeeesss: 01/13/15 08:44:51PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Well, I am a professional hairstylist, so I might have a different take on it than some or most people around here....Don't shave it off, that is silly. Get a pro you can trust to just clean it up for you...just even it up as best as possible without cutting too much. Be very direct and say that you want it as even as possible but with as little taken off as possible and a good stylist should be able to do it. That should fix some of it...without a pic it is hard to know how bad your hair really is. What I am wondering is why you thought you could cut your own hair in the shower without looking in the first place?!!!!! Too funny .
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Hey James! Just noticed...you live in El Monte...I live in La Verne (by Pomona)...if you can't find anybody to help you let me know...I can do it!
Jammmeeesss(:
@jammmeeesss
14 years ago
34 posts
would matter if some sides are thicker then other's as well?and as cutting my own hair in the shower... I know, I think about brilliant idea's and acctally do them lol >.^omg really?! :OI think I would tottaly be Down for it. ^__^you ma'm are a life safer! <3 Panterra Caraway said:
Well, I am a professional hairstylist, so I might have a different take on it than some or most people around here....Don't shave it off, that is silly. Get a pro you can trust to just clean it up for you...just even it up as best as possible without cutting too much. Be very direct and say that you want it as even as possible but with as little taken off as possible and a good stylist should be able to do it. That should fix some of it...without a pic it is hard to know how bad your hair really is. What I am wondering is why you thought you could cut your own hair in the shower without looking in the first place?!!!!! Too funny .
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
see i had layers when i had my first set of dreads and this caused problems for me in the bak, because the front and sides were lockng up except for in the back it was just a big mess aith alot of fucked up stuff
ashley ✿
@ashley
14 years ago
167 posts
I think getting it evened out is a good plan, but i had my hair layered, and it only proved slightly problematic (of course my hair is over twelve inches long) with a few dreads, and the hair slipping out half way down, i've only found like, two like that...but yeah, get it evened a little, looks like miss caraway is a very good person to go with! Good luck!
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Hey Panterra, I didn't know that you're stylist, that's pretty cool.And James, I wouldn't worry about the thickness too much, as long you let your hair grow out more, the shorter you start them the more of an issue it may appear to be, but the longer it is the less noticeable it'll be. Besides, I think uneven dreads have more character than perfectly even dreads, but I do agree that it'd probably a good idea to have it evened up a bit, but don't be to critical on yourself.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Yep Alden I am! Here goes telling on myself...I have done hair for 30 years (started at 16). And James, I totally agree with what Alden said too...If you want I can send you my number tomorrow...? Alden said:
Hey Panterra, I didn't know that you're stylist, that's pretty cool.

And James, I wouldn't worry about the thickness too much, as long you let your hair grow out more, the shorter you start them the more of an issue it may appear to be, but the longer it is the less noticeable it'll be. Besides, I think uneven dreads have more character than perfectly even dreads, but I do agree that it'd probably a good idea to have it evened up a bit, but don't be to critical on yourself.
Jammmeeesss(:
@jammmeeesss
14 years ago
34 posts
yeah that would be great(:But honsetly, I think I kinda want to shave my head :O I'm quite a symbolic person, and there's so many things going on in my life right now I think I want to something simpler and different. besides I honestly don't remember how short hair feels like lol.but diffidently pass me your number! once my hair starts growing again I'll want somebody to help me with my dreads(: and who better to trust then someone who been cutting hair for 30 yrs :D
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form