Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi, hi, hi thereee. :)

Jasmineeeeee
@jasmineeeeee
14 years ago
2 posts
Hi everyone!I signed up about a couple of minutes ago and I just wanted to show some love to you all. :)I'm Jasmine and, hopefullly, I'll be starting my neglect/natural dreads today.I'm just not really sure about what to do with my hair for the first few weeks of my "journey" along the lines of care (or lack of), washing, drying, and everything else.Advice? :)But thanks to everyone who replies hope to hear from you guys! :)Love.
updated by @jasmineeeeee: 01/13/15 08:40:08PM
CrazyDaizy99
@crazydaizy99
14 years ago
81 posts
I'm about 6 weeks in and it is so easy you can't even believe it! I started mine at the beach where it was windy and I just didn't comb or wash that first week. Then I began washing but no conditioner or brush. I also did a little twist and rip, but to be quite honest, the totally natural dreads are my favorites. I would say the first two weeks are the hardest as far as figuring out what to do with your hair. But after that they start looking more like "dreads" and styles become much easier. My small clip is my best friend ;) Good luck and happy dreading!!!
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Welcome to the site! Glad to have you here. And well we're here to help...so here goes! Washing, you'll want to wash one to three times a week depending on how dirty your scalp feels or your hair gets. If you reach up to itch your scalp and it feels oily or just nasty then you'll definitely need to wash. If you go diving in a pile of mud then obviously you'll want to wash to make sure your hair stays clean and that's fine. The reason that you don't want to wash everyday is because it's actually unhealthy for your hair but most people do not know that. Moderation and all, ya know? So what do you wash with? Wash with about a spoonful of baking soda, just get your hair super wet then pour the spoonful into a cup of water and then pour that onto your head and let it sit for about ten minutes. Then rinse it all out, rinse really good. Then take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar (any vinegar works but ACV is best) and rinse your hair with it. The ACV is important because it is good for your hair and it returns it to it's normal PH level. As far as drying goes...just let it air dry. If it's cold then you can use a towel to pat it down or whatever really. But air drying is healthiest. Blowing drying causes heat damage and all that lame crap. :P You could also sit by a fire or in front of the fan. Whatever floats your boat. As far as dreadlocks go. They are all about not caring. Just watching. They are hair in it's most primitive and beautiful form. If you just sit back and enjoy the ride then you're in for one hell of a journey that you'll truly love and enjoy. If you constantly worry then..well, that sux for you! :P Oh and as far as maintenance goes, there really is nothing to it except for separating the dreads that are trying to eat each other. You don't even really have to do that if you don't mind ending up with one huge dread but since most of us don't want that because it is a pain to dry then you should separate. As far as other things, there is still a LOT of little dreading things to learn but as long as you don't brush, don't cut and don't mess with your hair then you'll end up with some beautiful locks. Oh and a good way to start loving your locks is to buy a couple of beads and a tam. The beads will help your hair dread and the tam will also help but you can also use it for those bad dread days when your hair looks like crap. :P Which will happen at first. Happy dreading!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
after a wash gently feel around for sections starting to clump together and see if they are connected to any other clumps nearby if so seperate emweek 1 or 2 u will see the hair sectioning maybe even starting to dread the sections get knotty and crazy keep em seperated so they dont eat eachotherthey will start to get tighter and more well formedit might not take long at allbut you'll go through a messy stage thats organicly beautiful in its own way but not every1 will see the beauty in the chaos so a wool tam will help hide em and help em dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jasmineeeeee
@jasmineeeeee
14 years ago
2 posts
Thank you everyone so so so so much for the information and the advice. :)I really appreciate it, really I do.I'm so happy I found this website.So much love.Hahah.Thanks again so so much. :)Love.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form