Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Work: To ask or not to ask? Also, adding length...

Olivia
@olivia
14 years ago
1 posts
Hi Everybody.I had dreadlocks for almost 6 years when I decided to cut them off two years ago. Unfortunately it was on a whim - I woke up one morning and had apparently lost my sanity. By the end of the day I had a buzzed haircut and my locks were stored in a plastic grocery bag. I was about a year and a half into college and had never had a job.Now I want them back. I have a job now - as an activities assistant at an assisted living facility, aka I do fun and entertaining activities with active elderly people. My work environment, while professional, has a relatively laid back staff, from the top down. I'm about 60/40 percent sure they will let me work there with dreadlocks, 60% positive and 40% negative.I used to always read on forums that it's best to wait to first get a job, then get locks. But I always just had locks already! Now I'm faced with this dilemma.. My question is: Do I *ask* my employer, or just go for it/let them know what I plan to do? My job is pretty nice to have ($$$!), but not crucial to my survival as I'm still a college student living at home. So I *could* do without it, if it comes to that... but I'd kinda rather not, ya know?When/if I do ask, should I try to make it kind of a formal sit-down thing, like "i need to meet and talk with you about something", or casually bring it up? I thought about bringing in some pictures of me when I used to have them, especially some from when I was at formal events.I know it may seem like I'm making too much of this, reading too much into it - but this is important to me and I don't wanna go about it the wrong way and screw it up.Another thing: I still have my dreadlocks that I cut off two years ago. They are in a bag, in a drawer, in my closet. lol. Can I really add these to my new locks to lengthen them? Can anyone give me details on how to do this, or point me in a direction where I can get details? And I'm not sure how long I would need to wait... I guess almost a year or so, so that the new ones are developed. Because I had mine for 6 years - they were very mature. It'd look weird having mature locks hangin off the ends of baby locks. lol.Thanks for all your help. It feels weird being the one asking all the questions instead of giving the answers! :)Peace.
updated by @olivia: 01/13/15 08:35:42PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok very pretty pictureumm heres what id dobring the pics to work casually mention "i think im going to get dreadlocks again" when asked about why just say u used ti have em (see) hand over pics you want to have them again because theyre very spiritual to you and youd like to add on your old locks eventualydont ask for a right u already have just inform then of they want to discuss it explain that they are spiritual to youtherefore they cannot say no only discuss options (dementia patients grabbing etc)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I'd just go for it. Start dreading...if anyone asks just tell em the truth.Or you could ask...no big deal either way.
Brody
@brody
14 years ago
3 posts
Kinda like that rule for the military... Don't ask, Don't tell :POr like Nike~ Just Do It!Seriously though, I think the most vulnerable time for you will be between when you start and when you can pull them all back in a ponytail. Much less messy looking when pulled back.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form