Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread Thickness Starting Point?

Mal
@mal
14 years ago
15 posts
So i have around 6.5inch's of hair, and i was wondering how thick i should be forming the dreads to begin with if i want to achieve thick dreads as they mature? Im gonna give my hair a bit more length before i start though.I understand they will thicken over time, but is there any method when starting to ensure they will?The image below of the guy in the middle is about the thickness i want to aim for in the long run.
updated by @mal: 01/13/15 08:35:19PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i think i know him and those arent all that thick in fact are natural (i believe if i do know him) and vary in thickness as dreads should theyre average is average size not thickand well root section size determines mature dread thickness (roughly) if the root sections 1/2 inch the dread will be about 1/2 inch thickid let the hair section itself naturaly even if you force start the dreads this will give a more natural look that blends instead of the harsh conformity of perfectly symmetrical uniform dreads thee variations dont need to be huge to look good 1/8 inch variation from thickest to thinnest is enough to make em look more real (well ofcourse if the average size is 1/4 inch even smaller variations are enough)im guessing his are a range from 1/2 to 3/4 possibly with some thinner (dont see any that are 1/4 but doesnt mean there arent any)id guess 75-80% are in the 1/2 to 3/4 range tho..but hard to guess from that pic

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mal
@mal
14 years ago
15 posts
Ah thankyou! I'll focus on the root size when sectioning them to determine the thickness. Yeah i wasnt sure if his were thick or the fact that the length and maturity of them just had them appear thicker then shorter dread's ive seen, but thanks for the advice. :) soaringeagle said:
i think i know him and those arent all that thick in fact are natural (i believe if i do know him) and vary in thickness as dreads should theyre average is average size not thick
and well root section size determines mature dread thickness (roughly) if the root sections 1/2 inch the dread will be about 1/2 inch thick

id let the hair section itself naturaly even if you force start the dreads this will give a more natural look that blends instead of the harsh conformity of perfectly symmetrical uniform dreads thee variations dont need to be huge to look good 1/8 inch variation from thickest to thinnest is enough to make em look more real (well ofcourse if the average size is 1/4 inch even smaller variations are enough)
im guessing his are a range from 1/2 to 3/4 possibly with some thinner (dont see any that are 1/4 but doesnt mean there arent any)id guess 75-80% are in the 1/2 to 3/4 range tho..but hard to guess from that pic
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form